Microwave - fuse?

Hi, I opened my microwave today, placed some stuff in and while the cover was still open i plugged it, then it blowed with a blue flash. It doesnot run when plugged so that's so strange. When i checked the general fuse of the house, it was down. Shouldn't it have an internal fuse? Anyway, i plugged it back and tried, it runs fine but what shall i do?

Thanks.

Reply to
antimon

It sounds like a major short in the microwave oven. If you are not trained in this type of service, I would suggest that you get the microwave properly checked, or retire it and get a new one.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

Hi!

As a safety precaution, some microwave ovens are designed with multiple door switches. Sometimes one of these is intended to short out the AC power going into the oven if all the switches don't work precisely as they should.

I think it is very likely that this has happened to you. Why? Either the mechanical linkage in the door didn't engage the switches in the right order, or a switch has gone bad. Check the latch pins on the door...make sure they are all there and none are broken or bent. (If you find broken or bent ones, fixing them should solve the problem...as long as you can find any broken pieces.)

I've repaired microwave ovens with this problem before. Sometimes the switches go bad.

***BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL*** if you think you have the skills and desire to open your microwave oven for service. A mistake made while working on a microwave can be immediately deadly. Therefore, if you don't have experience with electronic repair, and high voltage circuits, don't even try this. Chances are that a repair shop could solve this issue for you quickly.

Oh, and yes...every microwave oven I've ever worked on has had an internal fuse. However, it has been my experience that the house fuses usually blow first. I don't know why this would be.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

It should but that won't necessarily blow first.

As was recommended by another reply, it should be checked out. Most likely, there is a problem with the door interlock switches, easy and inexpensive to repair. But given the cost of microwave ovens these days, replacement may be a better option.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Thanks for the replies. I was going to call a service but i just noticed that it's internal lamp is dead now. Is it possible that a light source can cause a blue flash and fuse problem?

Reply to
antimon

The blue flash certainly. In fact, that's probably the only thing you could see from inside the oven chamber.

In the act of blowing, some lamps can result in a dead short momentarily so it's possible

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Yes, many times when an incandescent lamp fails it strikes an arc. It's quite common for it to kill dimmer switches that way.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hello, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com! You wrote on 22 Jan 2006 05:47:43 -0800:

a> Thanks for the replies. I was going to call a service but i just a> noticed that it's internal lamp is dead now. a> Is it possible that a light source can cause a blue flash and fuse a> problem?#

Yes absolutely, every time a light bulb blows anywhere in my house, I have to re-set the overcurrent trip.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
3T39