Me vs NiCad battery damage vs PC boards

A lot of nice radio/test/computer equipment from the late 70's through the 80's and even the early 90's had the "feature" of battery-backed-up configuration settings. Often this was done thorugh NiCads soldered to the PC board (often in those little plastic modules). Over the years, the NiCads have usually leaked out their gunk (if not liquid, then fumes?) which has gone on to attack the PC boards and components/sockets around it. All the originally shiny metal now has a layer of white or white/green deposits over it.

My primitive chemical understanding is that something-hydroxide (calcium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide?) from the battery gets out (if not as a liquid, then as a vapor) which is a base. This corrodes the metal surfaces around the battery.

In my most recent escapade, I took such a board and put it in some dilute acetic acid (think "vinegar" except I was using some photo chemicals and I probably had the concentration stronger than the grocery store vinegar). The deposits turn even greener (in some cases bluer but maybe that was the indicator in the stop bath). Using a plastic brush I scrub away these deposits, but this does not result in a shiny clean PC board.

Again, my primitive chemical understanding: the acid combines with the base whatevery-hydroxide and what we're left with salts.

Rinsing in water and repeating does help get off more of the gunk but it's never all gone. In any event, I've at least slowed (maybe stopped) damage to the PC board, and after drying off I find it still works - in some cases works better because we don't have all the gunk anymore. When I see the gunk I see it mostly as an insulator that will stop conductivity, but of course it also bridges together traces and probably gives very real leakage in some cases too. Incidentally in many cases the board doesn't work right until it is really really dry, so I think that in some cases just the leakage due to the rinse water is enough to inhibit normal operation.

But now, say I want to remove a somewhat corroded IC socket off the board because I suspect it's causing problems. I put my soldering iron on the pad and try to heat up and melt the solder. I heat, and heat, and heat, but nothing's melting! Check that the soldering iron is working and that the tip isn't covered with crud... well, maybe there was some crud but after wiping it off the soldering iron is working fine.

So I go in with a wire brush and an X-acto knife and try getting past whatever chemical is still covering the pads and traces, and find it's really tough stuff. The wire brush works but it also erodes the traces. The X-acto knife works somewhat on pads with solder on 'em. After repeated attacks, though, the solder still doesn't really want to melt. I try putting on some new solder thinking that the rosin and new new metal will help, but all it does is ball up and roll off.

So what I'm left with is a PC board that is somewhat/mostly working but in cosmetically poor shape, and feeling that I should do more. What's semi-ironic about all this is that the board usually doesn't have any more than $10 worth of parts on it but an instrument that cost $10K twenty years ago (and is maybe worth $1K today on the used market) is dependent on this still crud-covered PC board that I can't even fix the sockets on.

Buying a replacement PC board is usually out of the question because they haven't made this doohickey in 20 years, and all the boards out there all have NiCad leakage damage on them.

One solution would be to lay out a clone PC board that never had the NiCad damage done to it and stuff it with new parts. Realistically in some cases this would take less time to do than I've already spent cleaning/rinsing/drying/attempting to solder on the existing board.

But is there some magic chemical or mechanical means that will render the existing cruddy PC board solderable so I can replace these flaky sockets?

Tim.

Reply to
shoppa

I've had Ni-Cd cells express a little bit of white powder past the seams, but i've not seen that powder damage anything. I've been through several computers, where "several" is on the order of dozens, not hundreds. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened to you.

Leakage from alkaline cells isn't so bad, but the real killer is leakage from zinc chloride (aka heavy duty) cells. That eats boards alive. My brother and SIL have a SWR in which a zinc chloride cell leaked. Nasty stuff. I ran wires to repair the board.

Reply to
Beloved Leader

Tim, FWIW, I had a small job to repair about 30 industrial power supply boards that were fitted with two Keystone PC mount twin AA cell holders for backup nickel-cadmium batteries. As you suggest, the outgassing and occasional leakge from the cells ate up the brass of the contacts through the nickel plating causing the holders to fall apart. What board corrosion there was came off with a scrub of soap and hot water. I replaced the Keystone holders with a decent quality Tiawan plastic 4 AA cell holder spaced off the board.

I find that the blue corrosion [and white crystals] from regular alkaline cell leakage also comes off well with soap and hot water.

Neil S.

Reply to
nesesu

Your knowledge of chemistry seems correct.

With respect to the socket you can't unsolder... It sounds as if the solder is so badly corroded it won't melt (because it's no longer a pure metal, at least on the surface).

I'd suggest carefully cutting away the plastic part of the socket, leaving only the pins, still soldered to the board. You could then tack-solder a new socket to those pins.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Good post. I've been fighting the same phenomena for a few years now, in MI/studio gear; i.e. I guarantee that *every* Korg Poly 61 keyboard

*will* (if not already) suffer horrible damage during storage from it's Ni-Cad. There's an early model of Lexicon reverb/delay that's on the same list, etc., etc...

Every time I get a new piece for my little collection, of any type (test gear, sound equipment, whatever) the first thing that gets done (SOP I'm sure for any transistor radio collector) is to take *any* battery out; what looks good today, might not a couple of years from now (learned the hard way, don't ask ;-)

AFA not being able to solder- I believe William's got it right, a reduction of alloy; all I've been able to come up with is to ladle heaping amounts of fresh solder on top of the old, wick it off, repeat... I use fiberglass brushes to do most of the initial clean up, which unfortunately also removes (if present) the thin trace top paint found on some PC board types; all I've been able to do there, to make the repaired board look 'OK' to me, is to tin the fresh exposed copper. I usually go back over the clean, repaired board with 'Print Kote Conformal Coating' (GC chemical, probably just some form of clear acrylic?) to 'seal' the result.

Looking forward to a chemist's reply here!

-Robert QTS

real email addy : snipped-for-privacy@NoSpamBraught.com (remove NoSpam to reply : Duh!)

Reply to
electron

I use a drop of mild RMA rosin flux and add some fresh solder to lift off the corroded solder. I use Kester 197 or 1544 flux in a 2 Oz squeeze bottle with a large bore hypodermic needle to apply the flux, and use 63/37 solder to clean op the solder joint. Once the fresh solder allows you to lift the oxides from the pad, you can either clean off the flux and use a desoldering iron, or use solder wick to remove all of the solder.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida