MC1307P Stereo Decoder (NTE722)

I am in the process of restoring a couple of Dynaco FM5 tuners that came to me off a scrap-heap as the stereo decoders on board had failed. I am havin g a devil of a time finding them in small quantities at anything resembling a reasonable cost. The Usual Chinese Sources are cheap enough - but I have been unable to make direct contact. This is a chip that has been discontin ued, apparently, since the 1980s.

I would like two (2) pieces. Ideally, four (4) keeping two as spares. I am willing to pay around $5 each, and reasonable shipping from anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I did a Google search. Vetco claims to have 11 available at $6.47 each.

They also list a zillion part numbers for equivalents.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Vetco, I have never done business with them, and I never heard of them before.

Reply to
jfeng

Wasn't that an early one? I recall one stereo decoder IC that used an actual coil, and the number sounds right.

Then later, the stereo decoder ICs didn't need coils, which probably bumped this one down to "replacement only" status.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Thank you for this. Anything from a US-based supplier will be very much better than from a China-based supplier. I have (at least) a reasonable chance of not getting a knock-off.

I am wondering why I could not find this source - perhaps because I did not search on the NTE number.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

It is early, but it looks like a regular chip to me, and all the data sheets show external coils. Early, but not *that* early.

Thanks for your response.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Consolidated Electronics lists them on their web site for $3.95 each. They also have a price for Qty 10, so they must have a good stock level on hand.

It's been a while since ordering from them, but I've done business with them before. Quick shipping, as I remember. Cheers, Dave M

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Dave M

My order for two (2) chips from Vetco has shipped, I expect them to arrive by Thursday. I also purchased two sockets - getting the board out and the n ew chip in is not so much difficult as it would be a lot easier were there a socket. But, David Hafler was a cheap SOB, and a socket just was not in h is repertoire.

No minimum purchase, and no handling charges. Well worth the small premium in price.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I used to install sockets in my projects. Eventually, I realized that these were my most unreliable components (followed by the electrolytic capacitors). Except for the rare and/or expensive parts, I now clip out the old ones and solder in the new ones.

Reply to
jfeng

It's just much that. There is something called chip creep. You might want to look it up. Also, sockets can get dirty and lose connection to random pins. In some circuits this destroys other components.

If the bias regulator in a 300 watt amp is on a socket or plug, and it gets a bit dirty or corroded and loses the connection, it can burn up like over fifty bucks worth of silicon.

When you work with that solderwick, you hit it repeatedly, NOT continuously. Ad try to hit the solder first instead of the board.

Reply to
jurb6006

I however can speak about Vetco. I have been buying electronic stuff from them for years. Good folks. And they have saved my butt more than once when they had something I needed that day. Like negative 15 volt voltage regulators. I had positive ones in stock but no negative ones and a power supply in one of my CNC lathes needed one. Eric

Reply to
etpm