Mate Mobile DVD LCD to a broken Laptop?

Hi all,

I am planning a Car Computer Project on the cheap. I would like to mount a small LCD connected to a broken Laptop in my car.

I can salvage a LCD from mobile DVD player with a good wide screen LCD and a Laptop with a bad LCD.

Can the two be connected together? Any other options?

Thanks!

Reply to
tyerant

No, not easily. LCD screens use custom interfaces and drive electronics tailored to the device they're in, you can't go mixing and matching.

Reply to
James Sweet

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com hath wroth:

No. The DVD player either has a proprietary interface or uses NTSC analog video.

Yes. See:

There are other companies that make VGA to LCD controllers. Many work on 12VDC. The external monitor output from your laptop from the standard 15 pin VGA D connector, goes to the LCD controller and then to the display. Or, you can just build and extension cable for the LCD display to the laptop.

Of course, the installation may be somewhat ummmm.... drastic. See photos at:

Dig through most of the 15 pages in the above thread for more photos. The liquid cooled LCD display is especially interesting.

Also, if you're in California, the state frowns upon TV and computahs in the drivers compartment.

Other states may have similar statutes.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

I forgot one. See the "Displays" section in the FAQ at:

-- Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

150 Felker St #D
Santa Cruz CA 95060
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann