Marshall AS100D, of 2008

No output unless in echo effects mode. Owner put away for 2 years. Covered in PbF & Rohs stickers. Now I find no problem . Send/Return/footsw sockets are not active bypass configuration. Anti-feedback on/off switch is iffy but I doubt would kill throughput . Any known URL for a schematic out there? Then how to reassemble the 4-off speaker wire routing, rod fed thru pcb hole and chassis hole and load a speaker crimp connector on the end of the rod to pull back through, crossing fingers that it will not dislodge? I'm not skilled in chopstick use.

Reply to
N_Cook

Mail me off-group with a valid email address for receiving, Nigel

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"Nutcase Kook"

** The AS100D has "Made in India" on the back panel - right ?

While valve heads MA50H & MA100H have "Made in Vietnam" on the back..

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Covered

kill

rod

will do

for the moment The mute lines of the 2x LM3886 go to the ps, so only sw on/off muting. Now the 3 sections of the amp are out of the chassis on the bench, to explore the FX on/off line and the horrible white PbF solder "joints". The designed-as skew-whiff digital FX board looks my sort of bodged professionalism

A straight rod cannot pass through both pcb hole and chassis hole, so probably chamfer off the edges of the crudely made pcb holes and then 4 pre-laid cords/wires to twist/temp fix through and to the sp wire crimps for final re-assembly

Reply to
N_Cook

As the FX board is only held on by 1 nylon screw on the other side from the header , so eminently loosable, I tried running with the pcb removed , but normal amp action , sans-FX with FX sw in either position

Reply to
N_Cook

if the mixed 1 and 2 signal fails to get to the output amps then there is a second route via the effects board, but that route is fixed , ie no header connectors , switches or pot wipers, leaving dodgy pbf. I cannot see how failing switches for the anti-feedback notch filters could pulldown the ch1+ch2 mixer opamp. Probably resolder all in that area

Reply to
N_Cook

Textbook logical fault-finding , shame PbF is not logical. If I make a leaded component / wire link mechanical tester, anyone know what force you should be able to apply without the lead pulling through the solder. I use thin nose pliers and some undefined , but attempted consistency, amount of finger applied force at the moment.

Wire link failed this pull test on one end and now that end is pulled through the PbF, the other end rotates in its "joint" . So mixed ch1 +ch2 from IC201p1 to the FX switch and FX board , including a wire link, is ok (for now) and this failing link from there on towards yhe other end of the pcb and the 68K/68K split out to the routes to the 2 output amps. So with failed link, signal through the FX board only

Reply to
N_Cook

for "leaded component " read components with wire leads, not components with lead/tin solder

Reply to
N_Cook

I read that as lead.

English must be quite a difficult language to learn. Seems most school kids can't even manage it at all these days.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

UK school kids that is.

I was looking for an apprentice some years ago and got loads of job applications from a few colleges, through the local employment agency. You know, out of the 30 or so applications, not one candidate could write any better than I could in primary school. To say I found that shocking is a gross understatement.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

A guy that comes into one of our food joints is an exam marker. The missus got talking to him about the state of education, and a couple of days later, he brought in a GCSE level maths paper for 15 year olds. They apparently had

90 minutes to complete this paper, and were allowed to use a calculator. I was able to finish it, in my head, in about 20 minutes. I think that I would have been able to do the same at age 10, back in the days when we were taught properly 40 odd years ago. The maths papers that we took back then at age 15, were way, way above the level of this Mickey Mouse paper. The standard even appears to have taken a nose dive since my own kids were that age 10 years or so ago.

Last week, we had the 9 year old daughter of one of our relations staying with us. She asked if she could borrow my wife's laptop, to do her maths homework. Intrigued, we let her. She basically logged onto a website that presented her with questions, and spaces to fill in the answers. When she is finished, the program marks it and sends the result to her teacher. With this lack of interaction between teacher and pupil, its no wonder that education in the UK has fallen to the level that it is now. I always considered myself a fairly average student, but I kid you not, I am now the equivalent of a university professor to the kids ...

Has it declined like this in the U.S. also ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

You

I'm getting too much repair work in these days, how to find someone to take off some of the load? As an interim I will only have the phone ringer active perhaps two hours a day, any other idea? Myself / friends/ local shop referrer + his friends , cannot find anyone to help out

Reply to
N_Cook

er,

had

uld

at

at

is

he

US math performance was no great shakes to begin with -- look at any league table of industrialized countries* over the years. The problem starts in the primary grades, and to my mind is caused by a fundamental mismatch: the sort of person who is drawn to spend their day with young children seldom is drawn to spend their day doing math problems. In fact most appear to fear and hate math. If your teacher has no ability for teaching math, then you are unlikely to learn it on your own.(And, unlike with language skills, which can be developed outside the classroom through leisure activities such as reading for pleasure, or by chatting or discussing current events; the random student is unlikely to relax by doing some math problems.)

In fact, here computer assisted math instruction may save the day. Instructional materials could include animations and live videos. Exercises can adjust how difficult they are based on how each student performs on them -- if the student misses too many midrange ones, the computer could drop down to an easier level and so on. Finding out what level each student operates comfortably at, and building from there, should eliminate the panic of non-understanding.

  • When I started at the university, I was amazed how far ahead the foreign students were in math. Even people from countries like Peru and Turkey.
Reply to
spamtrap1888

The problem is finding anyone competent enough not to ruin your reputation/business. If all your repairs start coming back you will have a whole load of extra stress and problems to the ones you have now.

My advice would be to stay a one man band and limit your repair intake. e.g. refuse all Hi-fi, Pro-audio, or whatever section you least like to deal with, or makes you the least money with the most effort.

I know what it like to have a 2 to 3 week backlog and more - dreading every phone call because most of them are customers wanting to know why you haven't repaired their gear yet. Its a nightmare world of stress you just don't need.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

,

deal

every

Your probably right , and the blame culture/ excess litigation these days

In this game it would be nice for somenone to to take on those PbF failed guitar input sockets and failed flimsey send/return bypass switches but even those repairs it is possible for a numbskull to replace a header the wrong way etc .

I intend not touching anything over 20 Kg at some point, I have the spring balance , that cutoff going down in weight over time. The telephone business of a timer to the phone ringer (so to the outside world the phone is ringing) because most of my work comes via phone and this should deter the friends of friends. Nothing against them as customers but its just a way of cutting down the numbers. Like the job application sifting business of rejecting all applications that come in on anything other than white paper , just to reduce the numbers to something manageable.

Reply to
N_Cook

The US of A is a country that believes the most-important thing in life -- other than trying to force your religious beliefs on other people -- is to be "successful" (ie, wealthy and powerful). Getting a real education -- which includes science and the liberal arts -- is of no importance, unless it promotes "success".

Ours is a profoundly anti-education, anti-intellectual country. This is amazing, when you consider that most of the Founding Fathers were intelligent, well-educated or well-read people.

I've never had trouble with math. Pardon the brag, but when I took the SATs way back in 1965, I got an 800+ on the math part. * You read that right -- eight-hundred-plus. I asked about this. "How can you get a score higher than

800?" I was told 800 was not "perfect" -- just very high. And you could get a score higher than /that/. Hence, the plus.
  • I probably would have gotten an 800 on the English, if it hadn't been for the analogies, which were thrown out several years ago.
Reply to
William Sommerwerck

If you were local, perhaps I could help out by triaging the items -- making a preliminary judgment as to what's wrong, disassembling them, etc.

If you do hire somebody, make sure they care about doing a proper repair, that won't bounce back.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

making

It wouldn't be hiring anyone , just someone I can relay the contact details of, if they can convince me they're any good. That referring shopkeeper tried someone ten years ago and he was hopeless. I know what sort of test questions I would ask and a check on his mechanical ability as well, some people thes edays barely know how to use a screwdriver.

Reply to
N_Cook

There are a lot of UK TV repair guys complaining that they are getting less work and looking for new ideas (e.g laptop repairs).

Reply to
Geo

An interesting evaluation. I always had the U.S. down as a country with good all round education, much as we used to have. Certainly, all of the young Americans that I have met on my travels there, have seemed polite at least, which seems to me to be fundamental to getting educated. What has happened here, is that a combination of liberal education policies, coupled with over-liberal parenting, has resulted in primary school classes being filled with disruptive and uncontrollable kids, in informal class situations that do little or nothing to modify those behaviours. Add to that the fact that the last two generations of teachers come from this background themselves, and you have the degenerating standards that we have been seeing for the last 25 years or more.

Once the early primary education has slipped to the level that it now has, secondary and further education stands no realistic chance. If the kids can't even read and write properly, what chance do they stand in other subjects where they need to read, understand, and creatively write ? We now have almost no scientists coming through our universities, which is very sad when you consider that the UK once led the world in scientific discovery and endeavour. Most universities now offer no maths courses at all. Science and maths and English of course all go hand in hand, and if the students are not getting a good enough grounding in core subjects like maths and English, then any science subject will be a non-starter.

I find it all terribly sad and depressing. The world should advance, not decline, but I guess that is the nature of the rise and collapse of great civilisations, as has been seen many times throughout history.

Just a few weeks ago, I was reading a newspaper columnist who is a bit of a bleeding-heart liberal, and she was defending educational standards on behalf of her own kids, and was saying that she got fed up of listening to people (like me presumably) who harped on about and decried the passing of a golden age that never actually existed. I wanted to scream at the silly cow that she was wrong wrong wrong, and that she was not qualified to comment as she is not old enough to have been part of it.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily