Marcon (similar to) ATX power supply repair

Hi all,

It's a standard computer power supply - electrically ATX type, but in a size for a desktop (not tower) - which makes a cheap source difficult. Size is WxLxH = 120x155x85 mm.

The brand name is Pro-V Power, model MPT-251 (and MPT-301). It is made by Marcon.

The MPT-251 failed, so I replaced with MPT-301 which worked for 6 months followed by identical failure. I am NOT overloading it.

I feel almost CERTAIN the problem is dried out electrolytic capacitors (probably just one) - but there are so many and it is tight in there.

The next replacement I acquired has worked for over a year, but is horrible - noisy, also fan bearing noise at start-up, also horrific radio interference.

The symptoms are - when attempting to switch on, the CPU fan runs for a couple of seconds, then nothing.

If anybody could help with a SCHEMATIC or tips, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Could be several things (including some external to the PSU), but I would check for a shorted output rectifier on the +12v (or even on the other outputs.

Reply to
UCLAN

Maybe not according to the manufacturer's joke rating plate

That comes with time, heat, poor design and under-rated or fake components.

Sounds to me like you're buying cheap junk supplies. Try a decent brand name.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Look for bulging electro's.