making a Bridge Rectifier from Diodes ?

I need to have a Bridge Rectifier 250V 40a ..... unfortunately there is no such thing available as far as Google can see

Can anyone tell me what size Diodes that would work ? I am just a hobbyiost and anything for instructions that I have found, look like they need a College COurse to navigate.

Any suggestions or simple equation ?

thanks

Reply to
Omicron

MCC Device Maximum Maximum Maximum Catalog Marking Recurrent RMS DC C Number Peak Reverse Voltage Blocking Voltage Voltage MP4005 MP4005 50V 35V 50V MP401 MP401 100V 70V 100V MP402 MP402 200V 140V 200V MP404 MP404 400V 280V 400V MP406 MP406 600V 420V 600V MP408 MP408 800V 560V 800V MP4010 MP4010 1000v 700V 1000v

Reply to
Meat Plow

I assume that you're in the USA. Mouser has some rectifier modules that will fill your needs. Go to

search for part number GBPC4004 or GBPC4006. The GBPC4004 unit is rated at 400V/40A, and the GBPC4006 is rated for 600V/40A. Either will work for your application (assuming no major physical mounting problems). Mouser has no minimum order, and reasonable shipping rates (for shipments in the USA).

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

Gareth Magennis

&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=bridge+rectifier&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial &No=0&getResults=true&appliedparametrics=true&locale=en_UK &catalogId=&prevNValues=500006+1004156&filtersHidden=false &appliedHidden=false&originalQueryURL=%2Fjsp%2Fsearch%2Fbrowse.jsp %3FN%3D500006%2B1004156%26Ntk%3Dgensearch_001%26Ntt%3Dbridge%2Brectifier %26Ntx%3Dmode%2Bmatchallpartial%26No%3D0%26getResults%3Dtrue %26appliedparametrics%3Dtrue%26locale%3Den_UK%26catalogId%3D %26prevNValues%3D500006%2B1004156

"Simple" , indeed.

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

A bridge only works 1/2 cycle so you would need at least 20 amp diodes. I don't know what voltage your at but

400 volts sounds pretty good to me.

Maybe two of each, NTE5920, NTE5921 Thats when you don't want to isolate the mounting from the heatsink, otherwise just take your pick.

Bad example as far as COST !!! I don't have time right now to shop.

You can also add diodes in parallel to gain amperage. I found some 40 amp 400 volt bridges, but seem hard to find stocked items.

greg

Reply to
GregS

On 5/7/2010 1:24 PM GregS spake thus:

Huh? Where do you get that?

Despite only operating half-cycle, each diode gets the full current flowing through it, so you need *at least* 40A diodes, better yet 40A.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 5/7/2010 2:14 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

I meant to write "better yet *50A*".

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Huh? That's a device that makes 10,000W of DC power at relatively high voltage. It's not terribly SAFE to do that; normal switches and fuses cannot control such DC power. Is this for a flashing strobe light to illuminate a stadium?

Reply to
whit3rd

No, GregS is right. The rating of rectifiers is on the AVERAGE current they pass (peaks can be much higher). The voltage rating, for a bridge, has to be higher than the peak of the AC, though, because there's a charged capacitor usually on the output. So, a '250V 40A' bridge is made with 500V 20A rated diodes.

Reply to
whit3rd

On 5/7/2010 2:24 PM whit3rd spake thus:

Hmm; maybe it's for an arc welder. Although I guess those use low voltage but lotsa current, so maybe not.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Whit-

Yes, 250 times 40 is 10,000. That doesn't mean the bridge is being used to produce 10,000 watts.

Both voltage and current may represent peak values of a low duty-cycle application. If the bridge feeds a capacitor filter, the voltage peaks across any one of the diodes would be 2.83 times the AC RMS value. That would be 88.3 VRMS in this case.

With a 2X margin, actual stress might be 44 VRMS and 20 Amps peak, or

880 Watts peak power. With a low duty cycle, it would be even less. This wouldn't be unreasonable for many applications such as rapidly charging the batteries in a hybrid automobile!

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

what about inrush current?