making 3v ac adapter?

Is there any way to make a 3v ac adapter by myself? Where would I get the parts?

Reply to
xxtremechump

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 11:23:32 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Has Frothed:

What will it power?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Meat Plow

Reply to
xxtremechump

Unless you already have the parts it's usually cheaper to just buy one. However, any book on basic electronics will give details on how to make power supplies.

--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

An mp3 player that runs on 3v AC? Are you sure about that? Seems highly unlikely that any mp3 player would be AC rather than DC.

--
DVDs for sale:
Banned Cartoons Collection, http://banned-cartoons.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mini-me

It'll almost certainly be cheaper to buy one ready-made.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

As others have pointed out, such an adapter costs only a few (

Reply to
panteltje

It'd be a fairly simple project, but why bother? Unless it's 3am and you have the parts in your junkbox, it'd be like building a soldering iron. It's easier and cheaper to just go buy one.

Reply to
James Sweet

yes

the cheapest place would be out of an adaptor...

mini transformer, with thermal cutout built in bridge rectifier, 1A reservoir cap, 4700uF @ 6v

1A diode 2nd cap 2200uF @ 6v

If V_out = 3v, V_reservoir = apx 4v V_peak before BR = 6v tf v = apx 4v. So you want a 4v ac 0.7A transformer.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:04:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Has Frothed:

Did you want to make it yourself to save money or just for something to do? It will probably cost less to buy one.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

They're $1 each at Goodwill (secondhand store in the US).

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

If you need a DC output, Nokia's ACP-7U cell phone chargers are 3.7 VDC @ 340 mA. They are all over the place, cheap, or even free.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes. But why?

Any supplier.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

What's wrong with Wal-Mart?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

basically you need mains-to-3V, transformer. a plug, and a case.

a place that sells electronics parts. they may have pre-built ones for less than the parts cost.

what uses 3V AC ? 9V, or 12V is much easier to find

--
Bye.
   Jasen
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jasen

Plenty of portable gear (MP3 or CD players etc) that runs on 2 AA or AAA cells has 3V or sometimes 4.5V sockets.

It used to be when portable stuff used several cells, less so these days where 2 - 4 AA cell supplies are common.

Morse

Reply to
Morse

Yahbut. Like he asked: what uses 3V _AC_ ?

All the 3.xV wallwarts I've seen for cell phones (and others) have been DC.

And, like a previous poster mentioned, there are crates of them at Goodwill, Salvation Army, ARC, and other second-hand stores. Folks break/have stolen/lose their cell phones at a somewhat higher rate than their associated wallwarts. :-) You may have to buy 2 of them: 1 with the correct voltage and one with the correct plug. Usually works out to be $1+$1 -- and it goes to a worthwhile cause.

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

Reply to
pegbudu

Yes, but the OP never actually mentioned that the adapter needs to output

3VAC, more than likely he meant an AC adapter in the sense that it runs on AC. Also, you didn't say anything about AC or DC, I obviously misunderstood your comment.

Yes, lots of them do. It's the best way to do it, keeping the rectifiers and smoothing caps away from the hot and often airtight wall wart.

Yes, I know, I said as much in another post. The OP likely requires a 3VDC AC adapter, which are very common ready made at very cheap prices.

Morse

Reply to
Morse