magnifier

I picked up an AM-Scope from Ebay a few years ago and use it all the time. Works great!! This particular unit has up to 80X with a different insert. I've only used the higher mag once but it was useful for the task.

These take a little practice, but are best for SMD work.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

We have this one at work : eBay 400429169541 although we have a different stand for it. It has two long (maybe 600mm) horizontal rods that link the scope to the base. But, the scope is the same. They also sell a fluorescent ring light that is just dumb, it cuts the working distance in half, and totally gets in the way. I ended up making my own LED ring light, which surrounds the nose of the scope, so it doesn't get in the way at all. The magnification is maybe just a HAIR too much at minimum, but really does well. I take my glasses off, so I can get my eyes really close to the eyepieces, they you get a wider field of view. I have an old Olympus at home, the AmScope at work, and we also have an ancient American Optical. They all work about equally well.

Here's the same boom stand we have on ours. I think it is a very good stand for bench electronics work.

eBay # 201537233463

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Check eBay # 400334443106 This is the same size as the crummy fluorescent ring light we got, it sticks about one whole INCH below the rest of the microscope, and also is almost 2" wider in diameter than that part of the scope. Really gets in the way of working on things. So, I do not recommend this specific light. What you want is one that fits up higher around that black conical part, just under the white ring with the thumbscrew in the first picture.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

It's called AmScope from the company AmScope: I just noticed that I'm using a really old version. I guess I should try something later.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

Yep. I just ran a screen capture of an SMD device with the cheap

640x480 USB camera placed as close to the PCB as possible. Illuminination is by the LED ring built into the USB camera: The small photo is 640x480 as captured by the AmScope 3.7 software. The large photo is a screen grab of the program, with a few menus showing, and the image expanded 2x (fit to window). Not too horrible for a $12 camera: The down side is that the gimbal mount is impossible to tighten enough to keep the assembly from falling over, the clamp around the camera body had to be glued in place to keep it from falling off, and the LED's are intermittent (bang on case to operate).
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

This is the one that I bought for my various microscopes and cameras: I wanted variable intensity and as much junk away from the ring as possible and a double ring of LEDs to help reduce shadows even further. The hole size is 60mm ID.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Can you ask him what the make and model of his CSI machine is?

Reply to
DaveC

This still fits below the black cone of the microscope objectives, and is larger in diameter. What I made fit around the upper part of the black cone, just under the ring that holds the microscope. So, it is much less in the way of your hands, tools, etc.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Jon, What are the dimensions of the light ring (ID, OD, thickness)? Im thinking of another application for it. I asked the seller and he/she replied that all the data about the item was in the description. The only dimension that I saw in the description was the mounting diameter (61mm max).

Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

Nikon SMZ645/660 (used) or SMZ745 (new), on a boom (can be home made), ideally with a ring light.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Methinks that you mean't me.

ID: 60 mm OD: 96 mm (not including lock screws and power connector). Thick: 30 mm

Adjustable power supply: Model: LC-P800 Input: 90-240VAC 50/60Hz Output: 10-12VDC 750 ma Max

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes, Jeff, I was addressing the question to you; sorry if I was ambiguous. Thanks for the info.

Dave M

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Reply to
Dave M