Magnetron question

Hi, I have to replace (in a micorwave oven) a Panasonic magnetron 2M236-M62 which is no longer in production and it's difficult to find in my country. Some spare parts websites list Panasonic 2M236-M42 as an alternative model, but I am unable to find the datasheets to compare values.

Any advice on where to find those datasheets, or a minimum warranty that they are compatible?

Thank you

Reply to
technowb

See

Look165

Well, you didn't mention WHAT country so...

I can tell you this. There are only a few types of magnetrons used in uWave ovens. If the mounting fits, 80%+ chance it works. The actual power is determined by the value of the cap and somewhat by the secondary of the transformer.

They can use a higher rated magnetron in a lower powered oven and they still save money by buying more of the same part. They save money on the transformer or the cap.

The mount has to REALLY match. Close is not good enough.

Reply to
jurb6006

Semi-related: Will a microwave last longer if lower power levels are used instead of full power all the time?

IE: Instead of heating something for the typical one minute at full power, heating it for two minutes at half power(or even medium high or 60% if such setting available)? That way the magnetron cycles on and off instead of running constantly, and also the food is more evenly heated.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 6:21:46 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

In total hours, I get much more time on fluorescent tubes when they're on a ll the time. I have some that burn all the time for security reasons, and others that get turned off when my shop is closed. I get about the same am ount of time before failure out of both.

I suspect magnetrons are the same way. For the less time they're actually accumulating during "low power" settings, they're also getting cycled. My guess is it will ultimately make little difference.

Reply to
John-Del

+1, in principle you can pretty much pick random ones & if they fit perfectly they are likely to work. However I've no idea what the legal requirements are in your unknown country.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

ote:

all the time. I have some that burn all the time for security reasons, an d others that get turned off when my shop is closed. I get about the same amount of time before failure out of both.

y accumulating during "low power" settings, they're also getting cycled. M y guess is it will ultimately make little difference.

Magnetrons generally fail from loss of emission. Fluoro tubes fail from tha t and from filament breakage, burnout, sputtering & loss of phosphor effica cy. And less common modes like loss of mercury vapour.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It depends. On older microwave ovens, the filament runs off the transformer and cycles on and off with the high voltage. The thermal cycling can't be good for it.

Newer microwaves with the "inverter" technology switch the HV on and off much more rapidly leaving the filament hot. That's gotta be better for the magnetron, but has a lot more high voltage parts to fail.

Would be interesting to know how the cost of a new magnetron and the time to replace it compares to the cost of a new microwave oven.

It goes without assuming that you're sure the magnetron is at fault?

Reply to
Mike

A new magnetron can vary from $40 (on sale) to $150.

I buy used microwaves at the Good Will and other thrift stores or garage sales. I have paid between $10 and $30 for a working one. I've never bought a new one.

The one I brought with me when I moved was a membrane control panel and it got stupid. The one upstairs was the classic "Turn the knob" type, the timer fell apart.

Both were replaced for under $40 total.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

The filament is too much large for dying.though is uses a large current (some A). A point to be checked is the cooling fan.

Reply to
Look165

-M62 which is no longer in production and it's difficult to find in my coun try.

odel, but I am unable to find the datasheets to compare values.

t they are compatible?

around 13A, so far more robust than a fluoro tube.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Could be different in other countries, but at the cost of the microwave ovens in the US, the cost of a new megatron tube and shipping is probably as much if not more than a replacement oven.

A long time ago I decided that it is just not worth it to do most repairs (if you have to buy parts) on items costing under $ 500. If you have to get someone else to repair an item, just replace it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I totally agree. Sometimes, it is cost effective to change the oven instead of fixing it. Fixing it needs to get a new magnetron with the exact footprint if not it will not be OK.

The only to check is the filament ; if it is OK, the problem is somewhere else (I think the HV capacitor or the diode). It can happen that the mains transformer is out, but rare.

Reply to
Look165

Thank you guys, in this case it should be worth to repair it since the oven is 5 years old and in pretty good conditions: the only issue is with micro

It's a built-in big "luxury" model that still costs around 700? new : it broke too early in my opinion because it was always been used followin g the rules (I am sure of that, It's my oven.. :) )

The official tech support said that I would need to buy a new one because t hey can't find the magnetron, but I cannot afford another expense of that k

ttle time..

I think that unless I find the same exact magnetron I will go for the sugge

Given the price of the spare parts I could also think of selling those to b uy a new one "with some discount".

Thank you again

Reply to
technowb

The primary issue would be how the microwaves get from the magnetron to the oven chamber. That's THE critical item. Physical match.

A more obscure and unlikely problem would be the heater voltage to run the tube with.

Then there's the little details. Does the HV supply exceed the tube ratings. Does the tube draw more current than than the HV supply can supply?

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fox's Mercantile

Much as I am not happy with needless landfill, nor with the tissue-paper ec onomy that builds irreparable crap these days, there comes a time when it i s best to simply dump the item rather than attempt to salvage it.

Microwaves are one of those things. Given the very real safety issues raise d by after-sales work on these devices, there is no particular reason to ma ke such repairs unless the unit is otherwise special (perhaps a vintage Ama na or similar, or an early built-in) or hideously expensive to replace.

And, as Jeff suggests, a visit to any thrift-store will yield any number of options.

That being written, our incumbent microwave is 10 years old, the one on our third floor followed us back from Saudi in 2005, and the one at our summer house is now seven (but gets little use).

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Mr. Wieck don't you think this one falls into "hideously expensive to repla ce"? Given that a luxury microwave oven costs around 300? and this one c osts more than 700, I'd say it does.. :) there are almost no more expensive combi ovens in the market: other cheaper ovens I owned lasted 15 years and such.

I would be happy to buy another one and avoid complications, but I cannot a fford it, and I am trying to understand the implications of the choice to s elf-repair it. I know that there may be serious injuries ahead, that's why I am gathering informations here and there before taking any further step.. :) Thank you

Reply to
technowb

lace"?

costs more than 700, I'd say it does.. :) there are almost no more expensi ve combi ovens in the market: other cheaper ovens I owned lasted 15 years a nd such.

afford it, and I am trying to understand the implications of the choice to self-repair it.

g informations here and there before taking any further step.. :)

Apparently (or should I say supposedly), this magnetron replaces the one in your unit:

About 100E with freight. Are you sure the magnetron is bad? A lot of thin gs can prevent it from being powered up: door interlock switch, control boa rd problem, burned relay (or connection - not uncommon on Whirlpools), HV d iode or HV capacitor.

Reply to
John-Del

As that is an expensive microwave, you may be able to look around and find another inexpensive modle that uses the same tube. Maybe even in a recycle or thrift store for a used one.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

OK - not knowing where you are, other than somewhere in Europe:

Not so expensive, either.

This part was used in a number of brands, from Jenn-Aire to Panasonic to Whirlpool, and others. So, attach the PN to other brands, it may pop up.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33