Magnavox RH8524 shutdown

Got this old set that I keep resurrecting; replaced the flyback several years ago along with the HOT and recently replaced a bad CRT board that was causing the set to go full on blue. Just recently, the set was on and shut down with a loud SNAP. Like a spark to ground. I had a spare P/S so I put that it and got the same result. The set powers on however no sign of HV is present. No sound however the main power relay does engage.

So, what is the likely problem?

- shorted HV splitter

- shorted CRT

- shorted CRT board

I removed the P/S and Deflection boards and tested Q10 on each. No signs of a short.

Are there other shorts on the P/S that will shut it down? I also tested the diodes on the Deflection board and didn't find any that appeared to be shorted. No obvious burned or shorted out components. No burned smell when the set shut down.

I'm hopeful it's just the CRT board...

Kirk S.

Reply to
Kirk S.