Lyngsat Satellite TV.

If I buy the equipment and pay a local area satellite installer to install the diah and set it up properly, does that mean I can watch live, in very good quality Ireland and Scotland TV from over here in Southeast U.S.A. There would be no monthly fees to pay, I think.

A few years ago, a guy in another newsgroup (he lives in Evansville,Indiana and works at a satellite tv company, Pansat, something like that) said those satelite(s) in orbit over there over that part of Europe are in such a narrow arc and can not be picked up over here.But, what do I know for sure? I am only a confused dummy.I really do wish I can watch live Ireland TV and Scotland TV. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

There are two things that you need in order to receive a signal from a satellite. The first is to actually be able to "see" the satellite from your location. Being in the southeast US, it may be possible to see some European satellites from where you are.

The second is to be able to receive the signal that is being sent out.

Each satellite has a "footprint" This is the area that is covered by its signal. The footprint is not absolute, sometimes you can receive a signal if you are slightly out of it by using a bigger dish, or a more sensitive low noise amplifier. It also works the other way, sometimes you need a bigger dish or more sensitive low noise amp within the footprint.

Luckly someone has taken the desires of confused dummies into account and developed a web page which will tell you if you can receive a signal.

It combines satellite footprint information, channel lists and Google maps/earth to determine if you can receive a signal.

For example, if you enter "fort lauderdale fla" and select the Astra satellite cluster, you find it is below the horizon.

However, the Amos satellite cluster is just above the horizion, so if you had your dish high enough that it was not obstructed by buildings, etc, you could watch Israeli TV. :-)

Then finally, all of the satellites on this side of the world use the PAL system of encoding video. You would need a TV set that could play PAL TV, or if it is an HD TV with YBCR input, 50Hz video.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Reply to

I looked on the web for, Watch European TV with Slingbox

I don't know if there is anything worth while there or not.About nine something years ago, with WebTV, every afternoon I watched a replay of a tv station in Ireland news, weather, and sports.But it was sort of like a break action/stop action (whatever it is called?) tv replay program.I think it was via one of those free RealPlayer formats.I can't use RealPlayer with WebTV anymore. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

No.

I agree.

Reply to
UCLAN

I guess the only way I can watch live Ireland tv is to move over there.Which probally isn't a bad idea.One of those Isles off the wild west coast of Ireland. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

There is a website in Gibralter that takes the signal off of the UK satellites and sends them out as streaming video. They charge for "bandwith", not the signals.

It's not exactly legal in the UK, but they and you are not.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Satellite Free To Air TV is legal.Yesterday, a guy said he used a website and watched tv all over the world on his computer.He said when he clicked on a German tv station it sent him a trojan and it took him a long time to remove it from his computer. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

That's not really true. The BBC is free only to people who pay a license fee. The same with ITV (non BBC UK TV), I don't know what the situation is with Norther Ireland or Erie. That's why they have a spot beam, you can't receive it outside of the UK and a little bit of northwestern Europe without a special (extra large) antenna.

Anyway, this is not FTA satellite, this is an Internet relay.

BBC World is FTA, but it's mostly their very slanted news. BBC Prime is not FTA, though occasionaly they open it up for a weekend, and a DBS provider in the middle east sometimes relays it unencrypted.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

I subscribe to DirecTV.I can click on the BBC America tv channel.There are some other tv channels on DirecTV which are foreign language channels, home based in America, I think.Mostly Spanish and at least one German news channel. In America, FTA (Free To Air) Satellite is Legal.Look around at

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin