Loud ringer

A customer of mine is 91 years old, lives alone and is hard of hearing. She uses hearing aids but removes them at night. The other night she accidently pressed her wireless medical alert button while asleep and could'nt hear the rescue personnel pounding on her door untill they broke it down. She was very scared to find all these men in her house and could actually have succummed to a heart attack at that point. I would like to set up loud ringers throughout the house for her that have adjustable outputs that I could pre set so that she will be able to hear them but not be so scared by them that they would be counter productive. These should operate at a lower frequency than a normal electronic telephone does sort of like a fire alarm sounder but obviously not that loud. Are there any good commercial devices available that anyone knows of that would accomplish this? I would rather not screw around with Radio Shlock stuff if I don't have to .She's pretty shook up and I would like to try to set this up as soon as possible.Thanks for any assistance. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics. .

Reply to
captainvideo462002

Better yet, hook up some bright light bulbs instead of loud ringers. See how much light flashing is required to wake her up, and use the next brighter bulb. Or perhaps a vibration device under her pillow.

Reply to
UCLAN

I like good old-fashioned BELLS! Any of us over 45 have been conditioned to wake to them, from childhood. There used to be some on the market...plug in mechanical bell ringers with at least a couple of volume settings. They can be further adjusted or damped mechanically if needed.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

I know he wanted to steer clear of Radio Shack, but they had a bell system for a "phone" - which was very loud. We installed one in an Ambulance Garage once - when all we had was "just" the phone which was sometimes hard to hear when the garage doors were open and lots of road traffic. That "bell" solved the issue. Oh and it was also to wake up the dispatcher - if they dozed off - when the phone rang. Maybe "that" bell - if they still sell them - could be adopted for this purpose?

Reply to
radiosrfun

The obvious (and simplest) answer is for her to keep her alert button in a place that's readily accessible but where she can't press it accidentally while she sleeps. Attached to the front or side of a nightstand might be one suggestion.

Reply to
<nospam

snipped-for-privacy@j78g2000hsd.googlegroups.com...

The bright light combined with a loud ringer should cover all bets. The Radio Shack stuff is fine.

Reply to
hrhofmann

My Dad fixed up something for our neighbor. Her house had hardwood floors. He took an old doorbell and removed the bell. He drove a large nail in the floor and positioned the bell so the clapper would strike the nail. The vibration could be felt anywhere in the house:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

What a great idea! While I don't think it would necessarily wake an elderly person up, I can think of a number of other applications...signaling the deaf, for example.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Actually, I had the Radio Shack unit in mind...I have one. They also have the light flasher interface. IMO, a combination of devices is the best solution; but I think having a real bell in the system is important.

Some cheap phones from the 80's--before electronic 'ringers' became universal--had real bells...with the circuitry on a discrete board that could be pulled and installed in an alternate enclosure.

I've bought a few of those from thrift stores for a buck or two and done so. They could be made a little smaller than the Rat Shack ringers.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

oned

me

ded.

em

rage

hear

lved

I had forgotten about the loud bells that Radio Shack used to sell. If they no longer sell them I'm sure someone must have them. I remember they were designed for outdoor use. I once hooked up one with a common audible in a used car lot. You could hear it two blocks away. The bells are on an eccentric so you can adjust their position and hence their loudness relative to the hammer. I've got some really good suggestions here. Thanks for all the ideas. Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

If your client has a bed with a headboard, especially one with a thin plywood back to it, a buzzer or bell screwed to the middle of it (behind the backboard) will create quite a loud (and raw/dirty) noise. The back acts like a sounding board. If the vibration and noise doesn't work, nothing will.

I had the same problem with my MIL. They do look surprised when they wake up with a room full of rescue or police reople.

Reply to
Rack

How about flashing strobes? They will wake one up quite quickly, and you could locate a couple around the rest of the house too.

- Tim -

Reply to
Tim

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

[...]

Don't know what is available where you are but here we have a good range of electronic telephone ringer/alarms for domestic or industrial use.

The unit most likely to suit your client would be the Tone Ringer

You may find something more available here

Ross Herbert

I bought two radio shack telephone flashers. I will hook them up eventually. All warning devices around building have both flash and sound. I would definately install flashers in addition to sounders.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Strobe lights sound good.Otherwise, use some bright LED lights.They last much longer than incandescent lights.You might also check out some old fashioned battery powered bicycle horns or car/truck horns.The old bicycle horns have an adjustment screw on the back of them to adjust the loudness. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin