Lost two LCD monitors 12/2008

Ok, the first monitor was old, maybe 12yrs, on an HP Aero.  But the same week
I lost a brand new computer monitor.  And the weather was light drizzle.
Ever since, I hesitate using my computers in the rain.  And the laptop ran
with an adaptor which means the surge wudda had to jump the induction coild
(unlikely). I realy want to put som erational persectiv eon this.

So the most reasonable explanation was someone told me there were odd
electrical storms that week, something like Aurora Borealis.

Can anyone tell me how I can find out if such electrical events occured then
and if they do explain these events?

I did Fry two modems in 2002 but htose were real nasty storms, one was
actually a tornado that took a few roofs of fin my block. That one I can
UNDERSTAND.  Now, I have a surge supressor on my phone line (all my home
computers use dialup not broadband). And they switche dus to fiber two years
ago, but they took the coppe routput all around the hous eand put it back
into the copper nabe box. So I made a ground from where the ol dcopper
eneters the house to my fence. Some say I shudda just put the wire in the
ground not the fence.

                    - = -
     Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
  blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web:  panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
   facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 -  biostrategist.com
  ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice.  Everything fully disclaimed.}---

Re: Lost two LCD monitors 12/2008

You should consult Skybuck Flying, he is reasoning along the same lines.

The OP said:

"Ever since, I hesitate using my computers in the rain."

Computers should not be run in the rain, they need to be protected from
the weather...unless specifically designed for outdoor all-weather use!

John ;-#)#

Re: Lost two LCD monitors 12/2008

I dunno - were the OP to hold a 240 VAC power-supply for that computer between his legs in a driving rain, it may have a salubrious effect.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: Lost two LCD monitors 12/2008

120 can be just as lethal as 240.
(its the current, not the volts that's the problem in those accidents)

Re: Lost two LCD monitors 12/2008

But not nearly as fast or as certain.

Re: Lost two LCD monitors 12/2008

And given the high resistance of the human bod I feel they are
interactive, you cant have a current through high resistance with low
voltage

Re: Lost two LCD monitors 12/2008

The (healthy adult) human body is, effectively, a 10,000 ohm, 1/4-watt resistor. Anything that will put more than 1/4 watt through 10,000 ohms will cause damage.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: Lost two LCD monitors 12/2008

Otherwise 120v ground fault protection would never trip as early as sensing just 5 milliamps.

Re: Lost two LCD monitors 12/2008

Her eallyn eedsa spellc hequera ndp roofr eading.

Re: Lost two LCD monitors 12/2008

Af lakeys pacebar?

Site Timeline