Lost two LCD monitors 12/2008

Ok, the first monitor was old, maybe 12yrs, on an HP Aero. But the same week I lost a brand new computer monitor. And the weather was light drizzle. Ever since, I hesitate using my computers in the rain. And the laptop ran with an adaptor which means the surge wudda had to jump the induction coild (unlikely). I realy want to put som erational persectiv eon this.

So the most reasonable explanation was someone told me there were odd electrical storms that week, something like Aurora Borealis.

Can anyone tell me how I can find out if such electrical events occured then and if they do explain these events?

I did Fry two modems in 2002 but htose were real nasty storms, one was actually a tornado that took a few roofs of fin my block. That one I can UNDERSTAND. Now, I have a surge supressor on my phone line (all my home computers use dialup not broadband). And they switche dus to fiber two years ago, but they took the coppe routput all around the hous eand put it back into the copper nabe box. So I made a ground from where the ol dcopper eneters the house to my fence. Some say I shudda just put the wire in the ground not the fence.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 - biostrategist.com ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}---

Reply to
vjp2.at

You should consult Skybuck Flying, he is reasoning along the same lines.

Reply to
Rob

The "Ever since, I hesitate using my computers in the rain."

Computers should not be run in the rain, they need to be protected from the weather...unless specifically designed for outdoor all-weather use!

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

I dunno - were the OP to hold a 240 VAC power-supply for that computer between his legs in a driving rain, it may have a salubrious effect.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

120 can be just as lethal as 240. (its the current, not the volts that's the problem in those accidents)
Reply to
bruce2bowser

But not nearly as fast or as certain.

Reply to
peterwieck33

And given the high resistance of the human bod I feel they are interactive, you cant have a current through high resistance with low voltage

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Af lakeys pacebar?

Reply to
Lucifer

Her eallyn eedsa spellc hequera ndp roofr eading.

Reply to
Lucifer

The (healthy adult) human body is, effectively, a 10,000 ohm, 1/4-watt resistor. Anything that will put more than 1/4 watt through 10,000 ohms will cause damage.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Otherwise 120v ground fault protection would never trip as early as sensing just 5 milliamps.

Reply to
bruce2bowser