Loss of preset settings on LCD monitor

I have a Dell 1907FPVt monitor that often loses its preset settings for brightness, color, etc. It is not a problem in that I have found a way around it, but I was wondering if there is a better solution than the one I found.

The above monitor will come on without pressing the power switch if one were to simply plug it in to AC. That is simply a characteristic of the monitor as I discovered through a search for that model. I have the monitor attached to a UPS along with my computer, so if I remove power completely by shutting down the UPS, when I power it up the monitor automatically turns on. It appears that when the monitor powers up in this way, it sometimes (20% of the time) fails to assume the preset settings. Once it is powered up, I can set the settings to factory settings and the monitor responds properly.

Since it appeared to me to be a situation where power had perhaps not risen fast enough to read the retained settings, I opened up the monitor looking for a cap that was weak. Using a ESR meter, I found none. I did not trace out the standby voltage circuit and perhaps I should have, but I had no schematic and it appeared to be more work than I was prepared to do.

What I have discovered as I was suspecting, is that the monitor never loses its settings if the monitor remains plugged in and it is turned off via the switch on the monitor. So it appears that the standby voltage is not coming up fast enough.

So my questions are these: Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? And if so, were you able to solve it? Or am I locked into keeping the monitor attached to AC so it maintained the standby voltage and use the switch on the monitor to turn it on? I find the latter solution awkward as it defeats the purpose of the UPS, and I would need to change the monitor power cable to one attached to the UPS when a power interruption occurs.

Reply to
Ken

ESR does not necessarily find low capicitance caps, try a 1KHz RLC meter set on C if the circuit allows it

Reply to
N_Cook

Many times you'll find a small ceramic in parallel with the 'lytic. The cer amic cap will 'fool' the ESR meter. If it reads bad with an ESR meter it is bad. If it reads good you need to remove it, let it cool off (heat improve s it ) and measure it again. There's a good chance the cap is bad. In switc hing supplies the caps need to be perfect. There is no 'good enough'. Make sure you buy caps with lowest E$R / highest ripple current.

Reply to
stratus46

Thanks for the replies, I shall look closer at the caps should I open up the monitor again.

Reply to
Ken