Lorex network DVR failed

Hello, The local fire department has a security system that failed just out of warranty. It's a Lorex LH118000 eight channel DVR with internet access for remote viewing of the cameras. The company is no help (model not sold any longer) but of course wants to sell us a new model. So who says another one will last any longer? Quality systems can cost thousands but this department is mostly volunteer and can't afford it. What to do? Symptoms: nothing but Lorex logo on screen (video and VGA outputs) after several seconds when powered up, power and hard drive LEDs lit all the time, no buttons respond. I tried the usual stuff... holding buttons down or repeated presses (info from their website) but nothing worked. I tried replacing the hard drive and removing the internal battery to see if the system would reset itself... no luck. The PS appears to be putting out the correct voltages. The DVR internals were actually surprising... the big SMD's are all heat sinked via the case bottom. I don't really expect to resurrect this beast but if anyone has an idea what happened, I'm curious. I've read the reports online for cheapie systems like this one and they are mostly negative. Since this device is simply a dedicated computer, I wondered if replacing it with a standard PC with a capture card installed would offer a more reliable system overall. Then if any part of it quits, it could be repaired. I'll have to learn about connecting to the internet securely since I have no experience beyond working with home routers. I'd appreciate any input on this. Thanks in advance!

Ray

Reply to
Ray Carlsen

Hello,

It looks like it is stuck trying to initialize some nonworking hardware.

These beasts usually have a serial port where they output diagnostic messag es. You can use a serial cable (direct or nullmodem, only one will work) an d connect it to a PC serial port, then run a COM terminal like Hypertermina l or Teraterm. If you see garbage scrolling up you have to manually set the port bit rate etc, just try different settings. You should get plain text messages and probably one or more error messages related to the device it i s trying to initialize.

Ray Carlsen wrote:

[...]

Jeroni Paul

Thanks for responding, JP. Unfortunately, this DVR has no serial port. It does have two USB ports, one for a mouse and another to download photos or video from the hard drive, according to the manual. Even if I could access the firmware, other than the hard drive, there is no other internal hardware... nothing repairable AFAIK.

Ray

Reply to
Ray Carlsen

How are these cameras used? How do you usually view them. What is the expected record time? Any mounted outdoors or all indoors?

What is the cost of the system if you have to buy a new one?

Suggestion 1) There is supposed to be an ActiveX software that will allow a web browser to work with the system. Ask Lorex Tech support how this might be used perhaps in place of the DVR.

Suggestion 2) Buy Lorex Live Ping LNC-104 cams (two for $179) and use a PC or laptop or smart-phone or tablet to view and listen (good audio). PC can record (so can smart-phone and tablet but disk storage on PC is much larger). Also has PIR motion and pixel motion recording with eMail or FTP notification. Caveat: indoor only but I use mine thru windows if oriented correctly so IR lamp on unit does not interfere with night vision capability. Excellent night vision is B&W. Daylight or room light is full color. Need LAN with router. Router with WPS makes for two click setup. Internet needed only for remote viewing.

OlderButOnlySlightlyWiser

I can't answer any of those questions simply because I was called in many months after the system quit and the original installers walked off with all the paperwork. I had to figure out what the system was supposed to do myself. There are eight cameras but I only saw two, indoors. They are powered remotely from a PS at the DVR site. Since the system didn't work at all, I didn't ask to see all the cameras but some are probably outdoors.

From what I heard, they bought the whole system with cameras for about $500 from Costco and had someone install the equipment. It apparently worked for perhaps a year before it puked. They didn't call me in until the system was well out of warranty, so I couldn't do squat. I'm just looking for the best way to restore what they had.

What good is software unless you have a way to connect the cameras to the Internet... with a PC, for example. Isn't that what I asked? Lorex wasn't at all helpful when I needed information. When equipment goes out of warranty, they don't want to talk to you. I'm hesitant to buy anything from a company that doesn't support their goods.

Their cameras still work so they will likely not go for upgrades or replacements. They liked the 8 camera system they had until it failed so I'd like to replace it with something better if not too expensive. I can provide a working PC so the capture card should be the only expense... if that's the best way to go.

Ray

Reply to
Ray Carlsen

hi any solution to this problem Ray ? i have exact same problem.

Reply to
laadswapnil

Did you ever get this fixed??

Reply to