Looking to Jeff Liebermann for insight

Ran across this on on sed, under, "OT: Weird search engine problem - fake goods hijacking" but thought you might see it here. Not my post but I find it interesting, thought you may also. Mikek

I have encountered a weird search engine problem with Google, Bing and Yahoo all affected to some extent. Some search result URLs have been corrupted and hijacked to fake designer goods stores and I can't see how it has been done. I have tried from different platforms and it seems that the problem is with the indexing and content at the search engine.

To see what I mean with a concrete example take a look at the top two hits for the following search terms on Google:

Hermes fake cromorecastle

On my system this forces two mangled websites to the top of the list. Their genuine URLs are below however Google doesn't link to them any more nor does it show the true content of their web pages. Any wizards able to explain what is going on and how to get things put right?

and

It looks like a contagion with an increasing number of sites gaining spurious fake designer brand title additions even if the URL for the moment remains unmolested. I first saw the problem on Bing this morning but careful investigation shows that it is much more widespread.

The unqualified bare URL is typically the one that is hijacked but I have seen spurious titles appear in deep links too.

I don't think it is my router or ISP's DNS gone haywire. I have ruled out PC malware as I see exactly the same problem from Android via another route.

I have now got independent confirmation that the searches done through an entirely separate route give the same results.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Funny, I get none of the above. Just legitimate hits for how to spot fakes and other links containing those words. Exactly what I would expect.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Patience.... The Oracle will respond in due time.

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

On Wed, 30 May 2018 13:00:31 -0500, amdx wrote:

Why me?

Sorry. I was rather busy yesterday and missed the fun. It looks normal with no garbage mixed in. I also don't have time to do much digging on the topic today. So, I'll guess(tm) a little.

Offhand, I would guess(tm) that someone hijacked the DNS record for thse sites and changed them to point to the Chinese site or sites. Google search just followed the change to the new site. The nslookup results look normal today. For example:

C:\>nslookup Default Server: RT-N66U-63B8 Address: 192.168.1.1

Server: RT-N66U-63B8 Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer: cromorecastles.co.uk MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = mx1.123 cromorecastles.co.uk MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mx0.123 cromorecastles.co.uk primary name server = ns.hosteurope.com responsible mail addr = hostmaster.cromorecastles.co.uk serial = 2009042402 refresh = 86400 (1 day) retry = 3600 (1 hour) expire = 1209600 (14 days) default TTL = 14400 (4 hours) cromorecastles.co.uk internet address = 94.136.40.103 cromorecastles.co.uk nameserver = ns.hosteurope.com cromorecastles.co.uk nameserver = ns2.hosteurope.com cromorecastles.co.uk nameserver = ns.hosteurope.com cromorecastles.co.uk nameserver = ns2.hosteurope.com

- It looks odd as the 4 hr TTL (time to live) which

- suggests that hosteurope.com is trying to flush the bogus

-

- Oops, something is wrong. When I point my nslookup to the

- authoritative name server, I get a lookup failure:

DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds.

*** Can't find address for server ns.hosteurope.com: Timed out

DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds.

*** Can't find address for server ns2.hosteurope.com: Timed out

- They're using what seems to be a locally hosted backup

- DNS server. It should be somewhere offsite. Checking...

- OK, I'm wrong. The IP addresses pring returns for ns and

- ns2 are quite different, and therefore probably at different

- locations. Pinging ns.hosteurope.com [212.67.202.2] with 32 bytes of data Pinging ns2.hosteurope.com [62.138.132.22] with 32 bytes of data

- I have no idea if the IP addresses are the correct ones.

So, the servers are there, but they both don't respond to DNS requests. Well, not quite. They respond to lookup request for Google, CNN, my domain, and other sites, but not to cromorecastles.co.uk. Argh, I lied again. Looks like it's back to normal:

Server: ns.hosteurope.com Address: 212.67.202.2 cromorecastles.co.uk nameserver = ns.hosteurope.com cromorecastles.co.uk nameserver = ns2.hosteurope.com cromorecastles.co.uk internet address = 94.136.40.103 cromorecastles.co.uk MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mx0.123-reg.co.uk cromorecastles.co.uk MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = mx1.123-reg.co.uk cromorecastles.co.uk primary name server = ns.hosteurope.com responsible mail addr = hostmaster.cromorecastles.co.uk serial = 2009042402 refresh = 86400 (1 day) retry = 3600 (1 hour) expire = 1209600 (14 days) default TTL = 14400 (4 hours) ns.hosteurope.com internet address = 212.67.202.2 ns2.hosteurope.com internet address = 62.138.132.22 mx0.123-reg.co.uk internet address = 94.136.40.150 mx0.123-reg.co.uk internet address = 94.136.40.152 mx0.123-reg.co.uk internet address = 94.136.40.151 mx0.123-reg.co.uk internet address = 94.136.40.153 mx0.123-reg.co.uk internet address = 94.136.40.154 mx0.123-reg.co.uk internet address = 94.136.40.61 mx1.123-reg.co.uk internet address = 94.136.40.150 mx1.123-reg.co.uk internet address = 94.136.40.152 mx1.123-reg.co.uk internet address = 94.136.40.151 mx1.123-reg.co.uk internet address = 94.136.40.153 mx1.123-reg.co.uk internet address = 94.136.40.154 mx1.123-reg.co.uk internet address = 94.136.40.61

So, my 3rd guess(tm) is that hosteurope.com is trying to fix some kind of problem. Time for me to run away.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Argh. Looks like Skype just went down. Status shows normal: but DownDetector shows growing number complaints: Another typical day on the National Data Information SuperHighway and Battleground.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

You ask, "why me", You have cute elbows. You make me see the world in a way no one else ever has. You?re my constant reminder that people can be good. The world would be so boring without you. You impress me every single day. Your capacity for kindness is boundless. You?re more of a superhero than any Marvel character out there. There?s no one like you. There should be a monument of you. And mostly because you usually know wtf is going on. Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

(Copious quantities of networking drivel deleted).

My favorite topic, me.

Whatever turns you on. I would recommend a more standard fetish.

May I suggest seeing an optometrist for a new prescription.

Actually, what you're reading and seeing here is my warped interpretation of common events and facts, which is often very different from what is dispensed by the media or considered "common knowledge". The difference is because I always ask myself "What problem are they trying to solve"? Once I understand the motivations behind some action or event, the rest just seems to fall in place. This fits in nicely with my bad habit of writing conspiracy theories. (I don't like reading them, just writing them).

Sorry, but I'm fundamentally quite evil and very good at faking goodness, expertise, and sincerity.

True. The world really does revolve around me.

If you're finding impressions, bruises, and compression marks on your body, it wasn't my doing.

Along with faking goodness, I also fake kindness.

I prefer DC Comics characters over the Marvel equivalent characters. I realize the Marvel is more popular and has better CGI, but I'm a traditionalist and the DC Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are more believable than the costumed misfits that Marvel manufactures.

True. No one likes me.

There is. After my predicted demise in the local supermarket parking lot by some junk food crazed driver going diagonally across the parking spaces because all the rules of the road are suspended in the parking lot, one can simply inscribe my name or one of my chronic mis-spellings into Google, and produce something by which I might be remembered. Much of my writings are amazingly accurate. Leaving something behind on the internet or web seems more appealing than a one-line Tweet on my tombstone.

Well, I'll admit that I do give a good impression of knowing everything, but there are limits. I tend to fill in the blanks by guessing(tm), which offers an opportunity for errors. Also, as I get older, my memory is starting to fail, which offers another source of error. Trust but verify.

Y'er welcome.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Huh, they're all over, most people have two, except for Tiffany, but that's a different thing.

Ya, darn Zenni, I can't even start to see through the bottom of my bifocal lenses.

Genius!

It would have to be good, I'm just not that into conspiracies.

No, I see the goodness, expertise and sincerity, that's all.

Hmm.

I do have an unexplained sore bruise just above my knee.

They say fake it till you make it, you made it.

That's back to "warped interpretation"

I could like you, for one of your HP 141T RF modules.

I will be more careful in the local shopping center, that is notoriously slow to navigate, I'm in Fl, it's all those old people, the ones older than me. I have spelled your name correctly, ever since you told me to!

Are you faking that? :-)

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I recently went for an eye test. The astigmatism corrections looked correct, but the bifocal adder seemed a bit extreme. So, I "fixed" it. $32 later, Zenni sent me my cheap test driving glasses. I could see where I was going, but I couldn't see the dashboard. Oops. So I ordered two pairs of single vision driving glasses for $12/ea, which arrived last week and work nicely. I'll deal with fixing the bifocal problem when I have more time.

Hardly. I stole the "What problem are they trying to solve"? method from a science fiction story that I read probably 40 years ago. If you Google for variations on the question, you'll find that it's a common question that consultants ask of their confused clients. With a marginal background in motivational research, I take it step further and ask "Why is it important for them to solve the problem"? which often delivers the logic that inspired or created the problem that now needs solving. It works well, but does have a problem. You won't like some of the answers that these questions produce. There are many seemingly altruistic problems that were inspired by pure greed, gigantic egos, and really bad assumptions.

The world is a flat disk and I'm at the center of rotation. Is that better?

I'm easily impressed. My body mechanic has me on a blood thinner (Plavix) that produces similar bruises. I get these bruises mostly when I find myself hanging over the bed frame at night. The pressure creates a deep impression and a corresponding bruise. Anyay, I didn't do it and certainly not every single day.

I actually have some spare mainframes and plugins. I have two complete systems that work, and I think two more that need troubleshooting (probably dry electrolytics). Three of them are in this photo: Send me email (address in signature) and we'll negotiate what can be done. I'm rather motivated to get rid of them because I'm planning to shut down the office shortly, and work out of the house. To do that, I need to empty half the house and half the office.

Note that the monster weighs about 60 lbs (with plugins), which is not going to be cheap to crate and ship to FL.

Also, you might want to view this video on how to install a color LCD display in an HP141T spectrum analyzer. I use a sound card to view the SA analog outputs on a laptop, but that looks terrible because without DC coupling, the baseline droops. Yet another project.

Not this time.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I know, because you mentioned them before. I mentioned it because I needed a reason to be able to say, "I could like you". A year ago, I turned on my 141T and it had no display, I have not taken the time to fix it, so I guess I have no need for a 8554B that I thought I wanted.

I have two

I carried my broken unit to the Orlando Hamfest and couldn't unload it for $150, (141T, 8552B and 8553B) Did sell 3 scopes though! So, I got to carry it back home and put it back on the shelf. Looks like you have a couple of 8640Bs also :-)

Which video?

I use a sound card to view

Now I'm confused. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Most people say "I don't know why I tolerate you". For those who tolerate me, no reason is necessary. For those who can't tolerate me, no reason is possible. Liking me is 10dB above tolerating me on the Scale of Tolerance (tm pending).

No display usually means that someone stole the CRT.

If you decide to repair it, this might help: I've found that the electrolytics next to the CRT are the major culprit. They can be tested with an ESR tester and an LRC-meter. You'll probably need a high voltage probe. I have some spares if you need one. As noted in the aforementioned article, both plug-in needs to be functional to see something on the screen.

A shelf is usually cantilevered from the wall. Shelving a 60 lb boat anchor usually results in the collapse of the shelf. I would recommend a metal storage rack or placing it on the floor.

For $100, I would have bought it.

I've lost count of how many scopes I have that need a home. At this time, I have three Tek 5110 rack mount scopes acting as equipment shelves in various racks. My repair pile from 2011: I tried to give away some scopes to newly minted hams after the last VEC test session. One prospective recipient asked "What can I do with it"? Sigh.

I have three. I was doing rebuilds and repairs on them about 15 years ago. Of the two in the photo, one works nicely, while the other is essentially parts. The third one is waiting for me to get inspired to design an RF power amp to replace the unobtainium HP hybrid device: If I ever get around to doing that, I'll also probably make a few and sell them on eBay, along with CNC cut replacement (aluminum or brass) gears:

Oops: However, if you just want a better display, this is good enough: Now, you have a reason to fix your HP141T.

I have succeeded.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Apropos nothing:

Graduated bifocals, if one can tolerate them, solve even -6 eyes with and w ithout astigmatism. I have been wearing glasses since 4th grade, I have wor ked on-and-off in a medical setting, including two hospitals, and been expo sed thereby to very good Ophthalmologists including researchers. What I kno w after all these years is "each eye is different, and each pair of eyes i s also different". If the diagnostician is competent, the only thing to be discussed is how the prescription is optimized. If one inserts one's self i nto the optimization without the professional - one deserves exactly what o ne gets.

I will not start in on mail-order glasses.

If your blood-thinner significantly increases bruising - it needs to be adj usted. You could get dead in short order if not.

Take control of your healthcare. After all, you 'own' the patient, and the providers have exactly the same relationship to your body as your landscape r does to your property. So, despite rumors to the contrary, they need your business.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Arrgh! I had a response written, I lost internet access and somehow a couple of emailed emails. To summarize, no trace or dot on CRT, I have seen gears for sale, but don't now, I see someone casting their own, I'm paying attention as I need an unobtainable gear for the sliding window in my truck, my shelf is setting on multi drawer drawer units, way strong, yes, I would like to fix my 141T and have a new digital display. I have plenty to do, not a lot of gumption to get it done and then there's wife stuff. Mikek

PS. I stopped with the compliments when I got to the one that said, "you make me want to stay monogamous".

Reply to
amdx