Looking for a laser toner vacuum cleaner

Hi,

Today I had a small very minor toner spill (the volume of a two penny piece) to sort out today inside my laser printer, so after heading all the advice about not using a domestic vacuum cleaner - I threw caution to the wind, selected SWMBO's least favorite bagless vacuum cleaner and hoovered it up. No drama there, no explosions, no redecorating required, nothing. Then again, that cleaner is soon off to the dump for basically being pathetic.

However looking forward, this is probably one of the things fate says I won't get away with next time. I've been looking at the price of 'laser service toner vacuum cleaners' and also have a need for something that can clean up dust without creating a lot of static electricity in the process, this is for electronics hardware I repair.

3M sell a toner cleaner that would be suitable, but for the price! 3M - 497ABF - VACUUM, TONER £277.42 plus VAT

Any much cheaper options out there that someone is satisfied with?

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Also price the fireplace vacuum cleaners. Some of the fine ash from a wood burning fireplace is comparable in size to laser toner.

That said, I have a small (2 gallon) wet/dry vacuum that I purchased at a local yard sale for $10US and it has (so far) survived five years of fireplace ash removal. I keep the foam inner filter on the vacuum and I replace the paper outer filter when dirty (probably every year or so).

John

Reply to
news

Adrian C Inscribed thus:

FWIW I use a cheap £29 bagless vac from the Local supermarket for these fine particle jobs. If you are really bothered, use a wrap of kitchen roll and elastic band round the air filter. Much cheaper than a new filter !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Any vacuum cleaner with a paper, not cloth bag. I have several ancient household vacuum cleaners with paper bags that work just fine. I've tested them for toner leakage and haven't found much leaking through. Just to be safe, I made a crude 2nd filter to attach to the air outlet port, but found that it doesn't collect much black toner. I also have a flex hose to attach to the outlet that lets me exhause the dust outdoors.

The bad news is that the toner dust seems to be the exact size to clog the paper bag. It will sometimes act like it's full, well before it's stuffed with dirt and debris. I have to use more bags than normal, and find myself "cleaning" the bag ouside with my compressed air hose. I suspect that the commercial toner cleaner bags have the same problem, but have never bothered to use one regularly enough to fill a bag.

So, instead of buying an expensive toner cleaning vacuum cleaner, just buy a supply of paper bags for a household vacuum cleaner. Much cheaper.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Similar here. Get a domestic model that uses plain paper bags, no origamied exit port ones. Then any old vacuum cleaner bags will do (cut down if necessary), not constrained to some exorbitant priced model of bags. The one I use has a cloth bag inside (presumably should the paper bag split) then the standard paper bag outside and I fix another paper bag around that, as the pores soon clog, fixed over using large elastic bands .

Reply to
N_Cook