Looking for 2x16 LCD PANEL for Minolta 2300DL printer

I recently purchased a used 2300DL printer, but the LCD in the control panel cracked in shipping. The PCB and all surrounding plastic pieces are in fine, just the actual LCD panel itself was damaged. The control circuitry is on the supporting PCB, I only need the actual LCD.

It is a 2x16 character display, with 10 pins, non-backlit. Pins are at top of LCD panel, slightly left of center. It's overall dimensions are about

1.5" x 2", with an active area about 0.5" x 1.75". Does this sound like an industry standard LCD?

Does anyone have a non-working 2300DL, 2200DL, 2300W, etc printer with a working LCD panel? Does anyone have a similar panel pulled from an obscure piece of hardware that might work?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Awol awol [AT] i-hacked [D0T] com

Reply to
Awol [AT] i-hacked [D0T] com

Den Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:38:50 -0600. skrev Awol [AT] i-hacked [D0T] com:

Yes; but you will likely have to move the connector to the new panel

--
Med venlig hilsen

Christian Treldal
Reply to
Christian Treldal

I can handle rewiring a connector or jumpering as needed to retrofit an alternate display. There's 1/4"+ of space between the LCD and underlying PCB - plenty of room for a wiring/mounting adapter. Any sources or possible part numbers?

Awol

Reply to
Awol [AT] i-hacked [D0T] com

Den Tue, 22 Mar 2005 02:07:27 -0600. skrev Awol [AT] i-hacked [D0T] com:

What you need is a 16x2 display LCDs which use the standard Hitachi 44780 controller or the million comparitible ones there are out there.

I think you can get it from your local electronics pusher.

--
Med venlig hilsen

Christian Treldal
Reply to
Christian Treldal

No, I'm looking for the bare LCD glass - no PCB, no controller chip. The ten pins come straight out of the glass.

I've used 44780-type LCDs before, and this looks nothing like any I've seen.

I'll post pics tonight.

Thanks, Awol awol [AT] i-hacked [D0T] com

Reply to
Awol [AT] i-hacked [D0T] com

In article , "Awol [AT] i-hacked [D0T] com" writes

It can't be a 16x2 bare LCD with only 10 pins, that would need 96+16 pins for all the rows and columns (normally done with a conductive rubber strip). It must be something else.

--
Tim Mitchell
Reply to

Upon closer inspection, a controller chip is imbedded in the LCD panel, mounted right on the glass. No markings of any kind. I'm now guessing (hoping?) that it's a 44780-type controller, in a 4-bit configuration.

Here are a few pics: http://204.119.31.17/support/ebay/lcd_1.jpg http://204.119.31.17/support/ebay/lcd_2.jpg http://204.119.31.17/support/ebay/lcd_3.jpg http://204.119.31.17/support/ebay/lcd_4.jpg

Any ideas?

Awol awol [AT] i-hacked [D0T] com

Tim Mitchell wrote:

Reply to
Awol [AT] i-hacked [D0T] com

I would look for manufacturer markings, failing that, scope the lines and see if I can make a Hitachi compatible display work.

Reply to
Gary J Tait

Den Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:08:26 -0800. skrev Awol [AT] i-hacked [D0T] com:

Yep, as I told you take any Hitachi based display, attach a piece of flat cable to display and and plug the other end in the socket, where the plug in the top right corner of lcd_4.jpg goes. Be shure that pin 1 goes to pin

1
--
Med venlig hilsen

Christian Treldal
Reply to
Christian Treldal

I FIGURED IT OUT! It turns out that it is a 44780-type controller, but the pin-out is -completely- different. I've now got a larger, backlit 2x16 display hacked in, hanging from the control panel. Now I need to find a smaller one that will fit in the original space. (Overall dimensions ~1.5" x

2", with an active area ~ 0.5" x 1.75".)

The original LCD is made by (or is compatible with) ROHM brand displays. Here's a spec-sheet:

Pinout:

01: RS 02: RW 03: E 04: DATA4 05: DATA5 06: DATA6 07: DATA7 08: GND 09: +5V 10: Contrast voltage

A standard 44780 is:

01: GND 02: +5V 03: Contrast voltage 04: RS 05: RW 06: E 07: DATA0 08: DATA1 09: DATA2 10: DATA3 11: DATA4 12: DATA5 13: DATA6 14: DATA7

So, if anyone has a 10 pin LCD that they are unable to figure out, check the above pinout and spec sheet - it might be what you are looking for.

Awol awol [@t] i-hacked [D0T] com

Reply to
Awol [AT] i-hacked [D0T] com

The size I listed was wrong. Should be: "Overall dimensions ~ 1" x > 2", with an active area ~ 0.5" x 1.75"

Awol

----- Original Message ----- From: "Awol [AT] i-hacked [D0T] com"

Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2005 4:44 PM Subject: Re: Looking for 2x16 LCD PANEL for Minolta 2300DL printer

Reply to