Long random delays is HP C6270 scanner

This scanner generally works well but very often there will be a delay of up to a few minutes between the time it is asked to initiate a preview or save and when it actually starts the scanning. Once it starts the actual scan, it always completes successfully. The size of the scan area or resolution doesn't seem to matter.

The only thing Google found was not enough virtual memory but there is 304 MB. This is on Win2K via USB. I seem to recall it had a similar problem with Win98 though.

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Sam Goldwasser wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@blue.seas.upenn.edu:

I know that my all-in-one scanner says it is 'warming up' when it has been off or on standby for a while.

I suspect that it is waiting for the illumination lamp to 'warm up'.

Perhaps you have a bad light or bad circuit driving the light.

--
bz    	73 de N5BZ k

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bz

I suppose that's possible, though it hasn't really changed in a long time.

Thanks for your suggestion.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

My software has a 'skip' option for that function. IME, there's been no difference when I skipped it....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

quoted text -

Is the long delay on scanning only for the first scan, or are multiple scans all equally delayed? Many scanners have a 30 secoind warm-up to get the fluorescent light up to a certain light output before scanning starts.

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

Random. It may be the preview scan or any other scan. 5 scans in a row may work fine, then wait 10 minutes for the next 1, etc. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Sam Goldwasser wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@red.seas.upenn.edu:

It may think it has gone into 'standby'. Does the scanner have any indicators (text display, for instance) on it? I assume that you are NOT seeing any kinds of message on the computer or display (if there is any kind of display).

--
bz

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bz

No, it just stalls. There is no error message and there are no indicators or LCD display on the scanner.

The light will always be on, but when this happens, it may go through some of the motions like repositioning the scanner lamp/CCD to the back.

And when it finally wakes up, it will typically go through several motions including turnign the lamp completely off and back on again.

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Hi!

My ScanJet 3300C has exhibited similar behavior when first starting up after having gone to sleep. It will take some time to complete its "startup" sequence. I don't know if that helps or not...but it is another data point.

Are there any USB hubs between the scanner and computer?

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Yes, there's a 4 port USb, but it did this before that was added. However, I guess it's worth trying again without it just in case, or to see if the frequency of occurrance changes.

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

It won't be the scanner, it'll be the computer. It's having to do something to scan - clear memory?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

For 5 minutes? :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

That's a long time but yes, I don't believe it is the scanner. I have a 2.3 GHz P4 and it does the same although for less time.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Maybe it's time to scroung up a new scanner?

I only suggest that since I was out to garage sales last Saturday (basically the first of the year) and came upon one HP scanner for the massive sum of 2.00. COmplete with a note "needs a 15v adaptor". At first, I thought it was going to be an older one, that connected via the parallel port, but no, it was USB. I grabbed it, even though I actually have a scanner I bought new a few years back.

The kicker is the very next day, I came upon some junk lying on the sidewalk waiting for the garbage truck, and there was an AC adaptor of the proper voltage and even higher current, and the coaxial connector was the right size, and the polarity was even right.

I am usually lucky about finding things that way, but usually I have to wait some time before the needed part comes along.

Of course, I've yet to try it out.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

OR, live in a place where used computer equipment turns up on the curb. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Or have it donated by the truckload? My record is 15 mini pickup truckloads in one month. :(

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

USB? Tried a new cable? Is it compatible with your OS?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Try

or