Logitech M-BD58 rogue mouse.

Recently, my Logitech mouse went t*ts-up and took the entire motherboard USB subsystem with it!

The MOBO is still useable, but sometimes there's weird "artifacts" on the video. A USB expansion card has solved the interface deficiency.

My question is; are Logitech mouse notorious for this failure mode?

I went through a lot of USB optical wheel mouse that I didn't like, then I got the Logitech which was OK - till this happened.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Ian Field

Maybe a short developed in the mouse cable. If the motherboard doesn't have a polyfuse on the USB +5V line (many cheap ones don't), a short could burn out the trace and take out the USB subsystem.

Did you have the mouse cable routed in a way that could lead to it getting abraded, pinched, or repeatedly bent sharply?

Reply to
Mike Paff

Inspection shows the cable in good condition, but I've been too busy to remove it and test it electrically.

The board is an MSI with an Intel 945 of some description (there seems to be endless variants).

Somewhere I have an MSI; MS7204 (AKA 945P). But it has a huge CPU cooler that overhangs the edge of the board and won't fit a case with any drive bays.

The 945 (something or other) has a regular cooler - the one on the 945P has lots of fins with copper pipes running through them. No idea whether they're interchangable, but I'm not optimistic.

Reply to
Ian Field

Any particular Logitech model number mouse?

No. Between me and my customers, I deal with hundreds of mice. The overwhelming majority of which are Logitech. Among the USB flavor, I've never blown a USB port with a mouse. In order to do that, one needs to apply external power to the port, and shove it down the +5v line. There's no way to do that by shorting any of the 4 wires in the USB plug and all the Logitech mice with internal battery power are wireless.

My guess(tm) is that you might be using a defective USB hub. Something like this abomination, that connects the external power supply to the

+5v line.

When I get back to work next week, I'm going to build a simple LED tester for this problem, and test my rather large junk pile of USB hubs for this problem.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

Oops. I didn't see the model number in the Subject line. Sorry(tm):

I have seen hundreds of those over the years. They may have mechanical switch failures, deteriorating rubber on the mouse wheel, having the too small sticky dots (feet) fall off, or in extreme cases, having the plastic ring around the dots wear off. No electronic failures that I can recall, and certainly no dead USB ports on an associated computahs. As I previously mumbled, look for a USB hub problem or a problem with something plugged into the USB port that has an external power supply.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

push hole in bottom rear mouse restores to pre-Logictech

Reply to
avagadro7

Yes - its in the subject line.

Reply to
Ian Field

Apparently I may have jumped to conclusions.

The BIOS setup seems to have a ready supply of nasty surprises. For one thing it forgets which drive to boot from at the slightest provocation - I already tried a replacement battery, then another in case I got a dud.

Something else flipped at random so it wouldn't boot, so I hit F6 for restore optimum defaults and then made sure the boot priority was right - it booted, and the USB subsystem was back. Now I know I restored defaults previously and it didn't get the USB back then.

This also wipes out the excuse for occasional video artifacts. This board is probably in its death-throes.

The board is an MSI 945GZM and has a normal looking CPU cooler - a spare MSI board I have is a 945P, but it has a huge cooler that overhangs the board and won't fit a case with drive bays. Any idea what are the chances of the Intel 945GZM cooler being OK on the 945P?

Reply to
Ian Field