Logic3 Istation IP600 amplifier fault.... distortion/volume control

This unit is an Ipod accessory...a combined Dock and portable active speakers. The problem is that the sound is extremely distorted, through both the subwoofer and mid range speakers. Tried using batteries,no improvement. The distortion is made worse by operating the volume control, which is not a pot but is the touch type, with 2 buttons mounted on the PCB, up/down. The volume control itself does not seem to work, but also adds a noticeable thump when the buttons are pressed.

There are also 2 decorative blue LEDs and these can be seen to dim at random intervals. No obvious dry joints and I am waiting for a new meter before testing properly. I have noticed an Amazon reviewer report exactly the same fault, so is there a recognised problem with these? Only difference is my set is brand new(old stock, but unused).

Is it possible to pinpoint a likely component failure from these symptoms? Capacitor? Also noticed that the soldering/wiring is VERY untidy...some use is made of apparently improvised solder bridges. Appreciate any help, thanks,

Joe

AMAZON REVIEW:

1 of 2 people found the following review helpful:

Died after a few months of light use, June 13, 2006 See all my reviews I received these speakers for Christmas and used them in the kitchen when I cooked. I would say that at most they got 40-60 hours of use over the past six months. Today I turned them off to answer the phone, and when I turned them on the volume would no longer go up and the sound is horribly distorted. Pressing the volume buttons only produces more distortion. They are, in effect, dead.

Reply to
Joe