LM317 Votage Regulator Instability?

Hi all,

I'm having serious difficulty trying to get this issue resolved and was wondering if anyone here has come across the same problem.

I've got a linear PSU that uses a LM317 (TO-220 case) to drop 37V down to

12V for a small 555 timer board that's set up as a pulse generator (at about 0.1Hz). The thing is, as soon as I connect the board, the 12V from the reg drops to between 6V and 7V and wanders around this level (like as if I'd put a really heavy load on it). But the 555 board's resistance is about 22k ohms so it only needs a very small current. When I swap the board for a 10W 50 ohm power resistor drawing 0.25A, the reg output is totally fine, staying rock steady at 12V and the resistor and reg get warm as you would expect. I can only think there may be something about the timer board that 'upsets' the LM317 and causes it to incorrectly partially shutdown, because nothing on the board is getting warm and trying spare identical timer boards causes the voltage to drop by the same amount also.

I can't recall this ever happening before! Any suggestions? TIA.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Try loading it down some. The data sheet calls from about 3 to 10 ma as the minimum load.

Ralph Mowery

Too small an output cap, or too low an ESR? Three terminal regulators can oscillate. Try hanging 100 uF aluminum electro on the output and see if it starts behaving better.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Too light a load causes the output voltage to go too high, though.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The datasheet says output caps are "optional" although I do always use 'em. The one I'd fitted was 1nF which seemed a bit small, so I subbed it for a 100n but it's made no difference. 100uF seems HUGE! I might try it, though.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Tried it before posting but no joy, I'm afraid.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Can you measure what the board is actually drawing?

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

The data sheet at: says that 37V is the maximum output voltage with an input-output voltage difference of 40V absolute max. With 37v in and 12v out, you're within spec, but seems to me too close for comfort. Maybe you blew up the LM317? Try another LM317 and watch your input voltage carefully. Or maybe add a big dropping resistor between your 37v supply and the LM317 input.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

JOOI What version of the 555? If it's a bipolar version they can exhibit a "crowbar effect", and the 100uf cap is usually suggested to ameliorate it.

Reply to
Lee

The ones I'm using here are all NE555CN.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

When connected to an external bench power supply at 12V., the board draws

9.3mA. The bench PSU doesn't have any issues powering this board.

When connected to PSU that uses the LM317, however, it draws 3mA and the voltage across it drops to around 6V.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Don't see how that's possible, Jeff, since it's still happy to supply passive loads that are much heavier, and at a rock solid stable output voltage.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

100nF is guaranteed to make a 317 oscillate. Microfarads, me lad, microfarads.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'll certainly give it a try first thing tomorrow, Phil. But I'm not optimistic given this confident pronouncement which I quote from the datasheet:

"Typically, no capacitors are needed unless the device is situated more than 6 inches from the input filter capacitors, in which case an input bypass is needed. An optional output capacitor can be added to improve transient response. The adjustment terminal can be bypassed to achieve very high ripple rejection ratios that are difficult to achieve with standard 3-terminal regulators."

So the manufacturers don't seem to think it's of any great importance at all. BTW, on the input side, the filter capacitor is less than one inch from the the reg's Vin terminal.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It might be interesting to see if you have the same problem with an ICM7555, but it's much easier just to add the cap, as suggested :) :)

Reply to
Lee

Quite! And I shall certainly do so first thing tomorrow. IF it works it will highlight an astonishing and appalling omission from the datasheet IMHO.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

IMO, The problem isn't so much the omission from the LM317 datasheet, it's more an omission from the NE555 one.

Interestingly the ICM7555 datasheet says: "The ICM7555 and ICM7556 devices are, in most instances, direct replacements for the SE/NE 555/556 devices. However, it is possible to effect economies in the external component count using the ICM7555 and ICM7556. Because the bipolar SE/NE 555/556 devices produce large crowbar currents in the output driver, it is necessary to decouple the power supply lines with a good capacitor close to the device. The ICM7555 and ICM7556 devices produce no such transients"

Reply to
Lee

Jeff's point is you are at the maximum recommended input voltage, anything changing there and the device will go south,( east, west, or north - ) which may prove catastrophic.

John :-#(#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

I think Phil is suggesting uF's on the output. (I always put 4.7- 10 uF there.) I'm going with Jeff L's idea, that you've blown it up. Try another. They also make a HV version of the lm317.. which is the only version we stock.

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

Noted, Lee, and many thanks for the info. It's late here now so I won't be posting again until morning whereupon I'll report back with my findings!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom