Lithium batteries not recommended?

You can not use lithium batteries. I have always used non rechargeable lithium AA's for emergency back ups. Why doesn't Sony want these batteries used?

Reply to
tnom

There are a number of issues that may be prevalent with the unit that you have. This has to do with its design.

The default under load voltage may not be able to be properly matched in the size type that it uses. There may be an issue with the current source capability of the batteries in the size type that it uses. There may be an issue with any type of built in charger that your unit may use.

If lithium batteries are not properly used, and or charged, there can also be safety issues. It is best to follow the instructions from the manufacture, if you want to have good product reliability, performance, and safety. A good advice is to follow the instructions from the manufacture.

--

Jerry G.
======

 wrote in message
Just purchased a Sony Cybershot DSC-H1 digital camera.
It came with 2 NIMH AA batteries. The manual says...

You can not use lithium batteries. I have always used non
rechargeable lithium AA's for emergency back ups. Why
doesn't Sony want these batteries used?
Reply to
Jerry G.

No built in charger

If it's a recharging issue I can eliminate that issue because I am aware of it. Shouldn't the slightly higher voltage of the lithium's be ok if the camera has a voltage regulator?

Reply to
tnom

tnom: The reply from Jerry G. has some very good points that pertinent to your question. I suggest that you should take your argument directly to SONY ..... they made the statement in their manual for a good reason, all we can do is conjecture, and if wrong, could damage your new, shiny camera. Sony's website has a very good customer support link along with FAQ's that may answer your question directly from the horse's mouth.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

the

in

may

also

and

Reply to
sofie

Most digital cams need a short pulse of high current from the batteries. I have not looked at the curves of the lithiums but suspect they will not give the high current. Many times the standard nonrechargables will not give many shots either.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The lithium cell has twice the voltage of a NiCad or NiMH. Unless they designed the circuit to work with that overvoltage, I'd expect it to give problems.

My Olympus camera will work with either, but we're supposed to use a special lithium cell that is shaped like 2 AA cells side-by-side. I haven't bought any of those, but I'd be willing to bet that this is just a clever way to use one 3V cell in place of 2 1.5V cells.

-

Jim Adney

Energizer sells single AA lithium batteries

tnom

Energizer Lithium AA photo battery

tnom

The manual from Sony's site page 98 where it lists what types of cells should not be used, says "we cannot gurantee full performance of the camera by property of the bartteries, such as brownout of the batteries" .

Energizer's L91 AAs can supply 2 sec 3A pulses and continuous

2A which although, not as high as good NiMH would appear to be well over any typical camera needs but this one may be a real hog?.
Reply to
H. Dziardziel

One other thing that I have heard but can not verify is that the cells may give off fumes that will eat the case or compinents of the camera. It comes from the unverified story that the FAA will not certify them for the emergency locator beacons as the fumes eat the airframes.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

My FujiFilm Finepix digital camera has the same warning in its manual - but I don't know why

David

Ralph Mowery wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

Yes, and so do lots of other makers, but using these in place of 1.5V AA cells will subject your unit to twice the voltage that it was expecting. This is probably not a good idea.

My point was that some devices and makers have attacked this problem by making devices and batteries which can use either some number of

1.5V cells, or half as many 3V cells. They make special Lithium cells which are shaped like 2 AAs side-by-side, so you get more than twice the energy storage in the same space without going up in voltage at all. -

Jim Adney

Not THOSE Lithiums. They're internally voltage-regulated to output

1.5V.

Else, I'd have let a LOT of smoke out of my digital camera.

They also make packages (notice, not the cells! They're still 3V) that drop the output down to 1.5 for compatibility's sake.

RwP

Reply to
Ralph Wade Phillips

No. Lots of other maker do not sell them. Just Energizer and they are

1.5 volts.

These double cased types have been around for a while. Energizer now has single AA packaged lithium cells that are 1.5 volts

Reply to
tnom

i also have a Yashica ez zoom autofocus camera(regular 35 mm film). its manual also says not to use NiCD, or Lithium batteries and to only use alkaline AA cells. CAn anybody explain why this is? anyway i ve been using two NiMH batteries for the camera for a while without any problems.will i damage my camera?

Reply to
indika07

howdy!

NiCads are 1.2V, Lithium CELLs are 3V. Either one is bad news for a camera - the NiCad won't last long enough, and might not work at all - and the 3V Lithiums would tend to fry it.

Energizer Lithium AA and AAAs are voltage-limited to 1.5V, which should make them OK.

Are they 1.5V? If so, then they're OK. If not, but are 1.2V, then it's not a matter of damage usually but of shortened life since the camera will shut down on low voltage LONG before the cells are actually depleted.

RwP

Reply to
Ralph Wade Phillips

snip

Pressurized industrial Lithium Sulfur Dioxide Batteries (LiSO2), a different non camera lithium chemistry, and are nominally 3V Consumer manganese dioxide lithiums, as used in cameras, are also

3V.. Eveready's l91 are Lithium/Iron Disulfide (Li/FeS 2) 1.5V

The various kinds recapped here:

H. Dziardziel

Here is the best info I have found on the Energizer AA lithium's

tnom

More info.

tnom

Maybe this is the reason?

Lithium's can supply the high impulse current used to charge a flash for example. However they do this at a higher voltage than the recommended NIMH. IxE=P

If A 1.2 volt NIMH = 1, then a 1.5 volt lithium = 1.5625

So that a Lithium AA could potentially increase the wattage of a flash by a factor of 1.5625

Reply to
tnom