Lenovo serial number?

I have a Lenovo Ideapad 520 less than a year old, bought directly off their web site on sale last April. It's failed, no power up. Trying to get a warranty service on it but unfortunately I can't find a serial number on the mfer anywhere. Usually it's on a sticker or placard on the bottom, I have another Lenovo lappy that's like that but this one got nothing. Just a Windows hologram-sticker and a FCC wireless module sticker. Perhaps it fell off. Usually they're on a small placard that's hard to remove accidentally, tho.

Their online system has no record of my order, all I have at this point is a credit card statement showing the date of purchase and payment. Their support department says that's no good, without a serial number I've got nothing. Might it be somewhere inside? Looks like it's supposed to be an 8 digit serial.

Uneasy feeling that the one I bought perhaps simply never had one. On sale...

Reply to
bitrex

Don't you save email receipts?

That would be an argument against just handling email by one's phone and not backing up on a desktop. I use POP for that reason, and I don't automatically delete email from the server for a week in case the computer goes wonky.

Consider that clouds go away. Amazon, Fujitsu, and other clouds have all lost data...local backup is best.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Not this one, apparently. 'supposed to be why I make an account with them to order and _they_ keep a damn database for! :(

Reply to
bitrex

I'm trying their forums to see if anyone there got some answers, at least they do seem to be frequented by tech support.

Reply to
bitrex

Personally drop it in to your local Lenovo centre?

Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

My HP laptop has the serial # on the box not on the laptop.

Reply to
KenW

Thanks that might be the best option at this point. Nearest location is only 35 miles away. Sigh...

Reply to
bitrex

It might have been there but if I saved the cardboard boxes for everything I've bought I'd have no room in my one bedroom condo for the things, anymore. :(

Reply to
bitrex

I have a cheaper Lenovo that has a very nice serial number placard right on the bottom, why they didn't bother to do that with a laptop that costs three times more I couldn't tell ya.

Reply to
bitrex

Remove the battery and check there. Since these numbers can be worn off with use, some manufacturers place the model and serial number information under the battery.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

You ca get it with "HW32info".

Reply to
Look165

It's sad that the board doesn't boot, as some manufacturers do record the serial number in the motherboard BIOS.

If it were an old Thinkpad, the BIOS contents would be stored in an ATMEL 24rf08 eeproms - and ye could actually read it with some RFID wand thingy.

But it's not ... :(

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Open a powershell window and type (or paste) in the following command

get-ciminstance win32_bios | format-list serialnumber

Reply to
Andy Burns

On a device that does not power up? If he could do that there would not be a problem in the 1st place. Catch 22?

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

You need to think proactively. The company gains nothing other than better customer relations if they save all the invoices, you have a chance of getting restitution if you do.

Who should be better motivated to retain records?

John

Reply to
John Robertson

The other Lenovo Ideapad I have, the 110, came broken from the factory but not because it didn't power up, just that it came stock with a

500gig 5400 RPM hard drive, 2 gigs of (soldered-in) DDR3 RAM, a Celeron processor, and Windows 10.

Windows 10 is unusable on a PC with those specs; right-clicking takes about 20 seconds of the HDD thrashing furiously and then the right-click menu comes up. That's on a fresh from the box install of 10.

Pull the 5400 RPM drive, slip in a SSD and install Xubuntu on it and it transforms into a really snappy lightweight netbook though

Reply to
bitrex

All the items I have registered online ask for the details like the serial number, did you somehow register without that info?

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Yeah no use, I started reading from the end of the thread, sorry.

On the last Lenovo I bought, several of the stickers underneath faded or peeled off by themselves, but the S/N sticker is still readable, there's also a second sticker in the battery hatch.

Reply to
Andy Burns