Lenmar MSCAA battery charger.

This Lenmar MSCAA battery charger has a capacity of up to 4 AA or AAA NiMH batteries. Recently, the red charging l.e.d. over one of the cells began blinking shortly after the charge cycle began. I measure the voltage for that cell while being charged and it was not higher than the cell itself. I tried different batteries all with the same result. There was also some burning type smell. I disassembled the unit and the pc board felt warm under that cell. I used my IR temperature gun and the smd IC that is adjacent to the positive charging terminal was about 30 degrees Fahrenheit warmer (130 degrees and rising) than the other three smd chips for their respective charging slots. I turned the power off so as not to cause more damage to the components. I was wondering what this smd component was. I have not been able to id the number: 4800 on the top line, then BD4P15 on the bottom line. I figure it's worth a shot to replace it.

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

David Farber scribbled thus:

I can't find that number but from the picture it could be a power fet. A

40v - 1.5a device using the number.
--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Do you have any idea what would be a suitable replacement?

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA
Reply to
David Farber

David Farber scribbled thus:

Not really ! I would imagine any 8 pin sot fet with those sort of voltage and current capabilities will do. Just make sure its the right type, p or n. If it is a fet then there will only be three connections. If four then all bets are off...

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Hi Baron,

Sometimes I'll share stories with my wife about my repair issues. She used to work for a company that manufactured pc boards for computers. So she e-mailed some old colleagues with the picture of the part and what do you know? A data sheet appeared in my inbox.

Digi-Key sells it for 79 cents. I'm adding it to my next parts order. (-:

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA
Reply to
David Farber

David Farber scribbled thus:

Great Stuff ! I didn't think to try 4800 as a search key. :-( Never mind. Glad you got it sorted.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

I finally ordered the part and installed the new chip. The charging l.e.d. which had been continuously blinking is now steady and the charging process is back to normal.

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA
Reply to
David Farber

David Farber scribbled thus:

Great stuff :-) Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for letting us know. :-)

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.