LED slow off

Is it normal for LEDs to not turn offimmediately?

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 - biostrategist.com ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}---

Reply to
vjp2.at

do you mean an actual LED, e.g.

in which case no.

Or a mains lamp that uses LED, e.g.

in which case, it's quite normal for many types to "fade" away as the internal power supply runs down after it's switched off.

Reply to
Andy Burns

-----------------

** Correct.

And just to rub the point in, the yellow phosphor that turns the blue LED light into white has no persistence - unlike the phosphors use in fluoro tubes and scope CRTs or TV picture tubes.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks. I though it was wierd. New bulb. It has like a circle of little dots of light which take a bit to shut down. In my mind LEDs should be the fastest to shut down. I am deathly afraid of halogen because of fires and I keep wondering if I got halogen instead.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 - biostrategist.com ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}---

Reply to
vjp2.at

Most of the LED bulbs ( the 40, 60,100 watt replacements) are made up of a ring of LEDs that are about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch square. The long

4 foot tubes are made up of a string of similar small LEDs. They usually have capacitors in them that hold a charge that takes a second or two to fully discharge.

What gets me is the LED tubes that I have. Some come on as soon as the switch is turned on and some take about 2 seconds to come on.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

LED & hlogen look very different, there's no mistaking them.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

** Well, that is a new phobia to me.

Wot is the fire issue with halogen light bulbs?

None the industry knows of.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It's the "ceiling heater" lamps that have/had the issue. The floor lamps with 200 or 300w bulbs in upward-facing dish reflectors. The fire hazard was from curtains getting blown on top of the lamps & catching fire.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I thought this was fairly well known.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Mine do that too. The delay is perceptible and different from the tube fluorescent in the same room.

Reply to
Tim R