Learning Electrical Repair

I don't want to pick up another career or spend 20 years learning electrical repair, but I would like to learn something about this area. I don't care for ham radios or tv repair either. But barring that, I was wondering if anyone knew of any books or web sites that could help someone learn about this area? I'd like to try small interesting projects. I have a basic understanding of electronics, Ohms laws, resistors/capacitors in parallel v/s series...I guess that is about it. My practical knowledge is limited to car stereos, amps and speaker.

I've been looking at sites like instructibles.com and a few others that have some neat projects but most just jump in over my head. I have no knowledge of "bread boards" or how to use them, though I have a general idea of what they are.

I can't solder but I've been trying to learn. I can't seem to get the solder to "wet" the solder gun or the wires I'm trying to solder.

It seems like now days everything is just deposable. A few things I've taken apart have been encased in a resin or epoxy. What's up with that? Heat dissipation or repair prevention.

Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks B

Reply to
Bewet Miller

On 11/22/2010 7:48 PM Bewet Miller spake thus:

How about going to your local library (remember those places that have those old-fashioned things called "books"?) and checking out a book on basic electronics. As good a place to start as any.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Then use a soldering IRON. A soldering gun is for crude work.

Waterproofing.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

It's a shame there are no major manufacturers of electronic kits, which is a good way to get started (assuming you know how to solder!).

Try Googling "electronic kits for adults".

You might get one of those "100-in-one" lab-experiment kits and have some fun with it. None requires soldering.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

There are at least a couple of companies that still sell electronic kits for hobbiests/enthusiasts.

Velleman has small kits, but nothing of the same scale as the old Heathkit equipment.

I believe I saw another brand name of small kits available on eBay recently, but don't remember the name.

Down under, the Dick Smith electronics company may still be selling kits.

I've seen soldering kits available for practicing/learning the skill of soldering.. and there are probably DVD video instructions for beginners interested in learning how to solder.

Some of those instructable/DIY websites have some dangerous techniques that beginners should definitely stay away from.. the line voltage powered nicad zapper is one example of one of the hazardous procedures I've seen.

There may be some worthwhile youtube videos, but steady cameras and good clean audio don't seem to be the norm there. Finding or buying some actual commercially-made soldering tutorial videos would be best, IMO

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Start with second-hand kid-level stuff?

After that kid's kit, graduate to this.

The public library has already been mentioned. Project books there were aplenty when I was a kid.

To get parts (and to learn about how stuff is assembled), tear apart something old enough to have parts with long leads. Learn how to tell a good part from a zapped part.

Soldering guns were oversold. Their only advantage is that they heat up fast. Mostly they're the wrong tool (unless you're working on a chassis or something huge

--and even then a giant iron gives better results). As mentioned, people doing serious electronics work use a soldering iron--usually temperature-controlled.

Get the surfaces clean first. If you're working with ancient corroded metal, that's more difficult. When all the core has drained from the ancient acid-core solder you're trying to use, this helps:

Read the recent "Self-Repair Manifesto" thread.

...and, in a group with "electronics" in its name, you'll get more empathy if you DON'T say "electrical" repair

--especially if you're not talking about fixing vacuum cleaners and garbage disposals. (Akin to saying "electricians".)

Reply to
JeffM

"I can't solder but I've been trying to learn. I can't seem to get the solder to "wet" the solder gun or the wires I'm trying to solder."

Perhaps you are using solid core solder made for plumbing. For electrical work you want a solder with flux in the core. (Rosin core solder is what I like to use.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Basic Electricity and Basic Electronics manuals from the US Navy are a pretty good introductory set of texts. It takes practical experience to do the takeapart and rework, of course (soldering skills are probably not learnable from bookreading).

My old Basic Electronics "Navpers 10087" was $2.25 from the U S Government Printing Office in 1955...

Reply to
whit3rd

I screwed up that link.

JeffM

On 11/23/2010 4:16 PM whit3rd spake thus:

Those texts are OK, but a little dated.

I recently inherited a stack of electronics textbooks (from a dumpster), including a copy of /Basic Theory and Application of Transistors/, a Dover reprint of a 1959 Army textbook. Yes, it does teach the basics of xistors, but is hopelessly out of date: covers only germanium devices, all audio circuits use interstage and output transformers, nothing about FETs, UJTs, etc.

You can probably do better than this.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The NEETS modules are available at various places out there

for one.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Downloadable from:

The warnings at the end of some chapters are good reading...

John :-#)#

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

On 11/23/2010 11:01 PM John Robertson spake thus:

They are amusing.

But seriously, I wouldn't recommend any of these books to someone trying to learn basic electronics. They're interesting as historical curiosities, but they're so out of data (not to mention badly written) as to be a hindrance, not a help, to a newbie.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

"Solid gold to make you feel old!"

Yes, I remember that book.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

On 11/24/2010 4:57 AM William Sommerwerck spake thus:

[replying to my posting]

So you'd probably agree that this is not the best book for a beginner to learn about transistors from nowadays?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Probably not. Someone else expressed their misgivings.

The "correct" way to learn about transistors is to find a college-level book. This requires understanding matrix transformations, but you'll have a better understanding.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Hmm, I remember having to derive Schrodinger's equations from first principles for my University exams. Can't say that in all my years of repairing and designing electronic equipment that this long forgotten knowledge has ever have been at all useful.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

ve

I got my Master's degree MSEE from NYU (new york university) in 1961. Don't remember Schrodinger's equations.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I was at Uni in the late 70's/early 80's. I can't remember what part of the Electronics/Electrical Engineering course required extensive knowledge of Schrodingers doodlings, might have been transmission line systems (microvaves etc)? Dunno. Nor do I care much. I do remember a past exam question though which required the candidate to completely prove one such doodling, which I learnt off by heart. Took about 3 pages of maths. Couldn't see the point then, still can't now.

But I'm not bitter.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

What does Schrodinger have to do with circuit design, anyway?

The poster wanted to "learn about transistors". I think understanding at least H parameters is worthwhile.

Offhand, I've never seen a book that covers transistor-circuit operation in a simple way, or that discusses how one uses that knowledge when trouble shooting.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck