Lead free solder

Re: Lead free solder

I just got through repairing the accumulation of PC monitors I'd taken out
of service because of lead-free solder syndrome.

Most people scrap them and buy a new one - not very eco-friendly at all!

Re: Lead free solder

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com says...

And *THAT* is the worse part.
It was a bunch of regulations to fix a problem that didn't exist, only
to created a REAL problem with reliability.

Re: Lead free solder

The tragedy is that lead is no longer made into the relatively stable and
less bio-available alloy; solder.

Re: Lead free solder

ian field Inscribed thus:

I agree, its a shame, all that nice kit that gets dumped because its
cheaper to replace than repair.  In my case the pictures were the
product of doing a repair.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Re: Lead free solder

Lead free solder was invented by the government since they knew it
would create more jobs (taxes) as the lead free solder caused trouble
and things were thrown out instead of being repaired.

Re: Lead free solder

Lead free solder was invented by the government since they knew it
would create more jobs (taxes) as the lead free solder caused trouble
and things were thrown out instead of being repaired.

Why would a European government want to create more jobs in China?!!!

Re: Lead free solder

surface mount, package pin densities, and labor costs have guaranteed
that almost nothing is repaired beyond the board level making solder type
irrelevent.  Even board level repairs are unlikely when the cost of
repairing an item is far higher than its replacement cost.

Leadfree solder was created not to cause electronics be discarded
instead of repaired, but *because* electronics were being discarded in
great numbers.  Even for items that can be repaired, they frequently
aren't repaired because anything older than about 18 months is
obsolete in the mind of the consumer.

Re: Lead free solder

Which is why, to stray completely off-topic, we should replace income
tax with a national sales tax. Let the 95% of the masses who are
compulsive consumers foot the bill.

Re: Lead free solder

Sorry.  I didn't know I was responsding to a lunatic.

Re: Lead free solder

Sorry too but I think that these "lunatics" make a whole lot of sense.
I am one of the 5 percent who tries not to purchase anything new today
because unfortunately "new" has become synonomous with "crap". Nobody
wants you to repair anything anymore. Either the parts are so
ridiculously expensive or they're just not available. I stocked up on
lead solder a long time ago so that I'll be able to repair all my
older reliable "hazardous" electronics well into the future, until the
government makes all repair parts unavailable or comes into my house
with a search warrant for lead based solder that is. So for the time
being, fuck them and the horse their "stimulus package" rode in on.
BTW how is the US military handling this reliability problem? They
wouldn't usually care too much about a small item like lead
poisoning...

Re: Lead free solder

type

Sorry too but I think that these "lunatics" make a whole lot of sense.
I am one of the 5 percent who tries not to purchase anything new today
because unfortunately "new" has become synonomous with "crap". Nobody
wants you to repair anything anymore. Either the parts are so
ridiculously expensive or they're just not available. I stocked up on
lead solder a long time ago so that I'll be able to repair all my
older reliable "hazardous" electronics well into the future, until the
government makes all repair parts unavailable or comes into my house
with a search warrant for lead based solder that is. So for the time
being, fuck them and the horse their "stimulus package" rode in on.
BTW how is the US military handling this reliability problem? They
wouldn't usually care too much about a small item like lead
poisoning...

oooooooo

Military,aerospace, medical have a derogation to allow continued use of
leaded solder but obtaining de-tinned components is a problem so a whole new
side-industry detinning stuff. Derogations give the game away concerning the
conspiratorial nature. Not sure if auto industry has a derogation though.

[...]

****************

The fuckwits who introduced the legislation are well aware that equipment
made with lead free solder isn't safe, so aerospace, automotive, military
and medical are exempt.

Re: Lead free solder

Amen to that ...

Arfa

Re: Lead free solder

Is there a big problem with consumers buying cheap aerospace,
automotive, military or medical electronics and filling the landfills
with them?

Re: Lead free solder

There are legal directives compelling that waste electronic equipment be
collected at disposal sites and processed for recovery of metals and any
other recyclable materials, so it makes no difference what specification it
was originally built to.

I'd be more concerned by the thousands of miles of abandoned (and some still
in use!) lead water pipes still in the ground, rain run off from lead
roofing sheets and hoorah-henries/rednecks peppering agricultural land with
lead shot.

Re: Lead free solder

It's funny as I saw what looked like lead water pipes being installed in
italy in the 1980s.

That's how clever and advanced they are in europe.

Re: Lead free solder

Actually the Romans invented lead plumbing.

Re: Lead free solder

ian field Inscribed thus:

Yup !  We've been using it since they left...

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Re: Lead free solder

is there really a big problem with lead from electronics pouring out of
landfills?

I doubt it. the whole rohs thing and europeans are just stupid.

Site Timeline