LCD Works then goes white..

I just got another LCD that doesn't work right..It is a Viewsonic VE500 and I'm acutally using it to type this message, but sooner or later it will go white. When it does you can shut it off and turn it right back on and it will work for a short while again or sometimes a long while before going white. Could it be capacitor related or is this more likely some sort of logic chip. There are no artifacts on the screen when it does work, so I'm at a bit of a loss since there is not LCD repair FAQ that I can find. I guess that is due to these things not being designed to be fixed.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I found in most of these displays the problems were from caps going high in ESR. They sometimes become thermo sensitive.

Take care that the manufactures normaly service these with board swapping only. They will not sell or distribute parts or service information to non factory authorised service people.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

This is exactly why I've been meaning to invest in an ESR meter.. I just don't have the $50-$100 to spend on one.. College = being broke. ;-)

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

If you intend to do any type of electronics servicing, you will have to get some tools to do the job. You need a good DVM, and ESR meter, and a scope to start with. These are the most basic, other than the necessary hand tools and soldering tools.

With your investment, if you are very good at it, you can take on doing basic service jobs for other people and students. With today's modern devices you will be restricted compared to a number of years ago, but for basic repairs, and if the fault requires generic parts, you should be able to make out okay.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

If you intend to do any type of electronics servicing, you will have to get some tools to do the job. You need a good DVM, and ESR meter, and a scope to start with. These are the most basic, other than the necessary hand tools and soldering tools.

With your investment, if you are very good at it, you can take on doing basic service jobs for other people and students. With today's modern devices you will be restricted compared to a number of years ago, but for basic repairs, and if the fault requires generic parts, you should be able to make out okay.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

the Viewsonic VE500 is well known for bad caps ... but you do need an esr meter to check them as ive seen different ones go bad in these .. so to recommend to you which ones to replace , id have to say damn near all of them without you using a meter ! .. get a meter or shelf it until you can afford one :)

cheers

and

Reply to
bloggybob

Well I've cheated untill I can buy an ESR meter or order all new caps..

Somehow moving and applying pressure to the electrolytics has made them work again.. I once pulled the can off one side of an electrolytic cap and put it back on and it still worked!? So I figured what the heck, maybe moving these around might help and apparently it did.

-Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy