LCD "smudges"

Hi,

I often come across LCD monitors with what can best be described as "smudges" in the displayed image. This appears to be a defect in the display matrix itself.

Can I assume this is a result of bad handling practices (i.e., folks pressing on the display surface or letting it rest on other objects)?

I also assume there is no real way to remedy this sort of problem (short of replacing the screen itself).

(sigh) A shame to have nice big displays with these dark/"smudged" areas...

[N.B. I notice some manufacturers now use a "hard coat" finish -- a thicker piece of lexan? -- over the display area. Presumably, this isn't done universally as it adds to cost (?)]
Reply to
D Yuniskis

It could well be dirt or oil, fingerprint smudges and the like, in which case careful cleaning might help alleviate the problem. Many LCD screens are devilishly hard to clean; the best results I've had have been using a microfiber cloth, such as is used for camera lenses, and condensation from breath. It takes some work, but they can be removed. (It could also be crud left behind from less effective attempts at cleaning, say using windex and paper towels.)

It's also reasonably possible that they are areas that are minutely scratched up from handling or attempts at cleaning improperly, in which case cleaning of course won't entirely solve the problem.

I would guess that internal damage caused by bad handling would usually have far more obvious and disastrous effects. Not being willing to sacrifice my laptop display to science, however, I can't say for certain.

It might also be manufacturing defects in the panel, or uneven backlight illumination (due to CCFL tube aging, poor design, crud in the midst of the backlight, or whatever).

--
Andrew Erickson

lose."  -- Jim Elliot
Reply to
Andrew Erickson

I've also seen the spots referred to as bruises, which I suspect are a result of contusions from rough handling/abuse.

I would be surprised to hear that there are any methods that make them disappear.

I haven't had to use any LCD monitors with marked screens, but I've seen how annoying a scratched CRT can be.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

In message , Andrew Erickson writes

I pulled an old 15" monitor out of storage last year, it had been stored with 'stuff' leaning against the panel and it now has two or three 'smudges' on the display. Not catastrophic but enough to be annoying if used for any length of time so I would think the OP is right in assuming physical damage.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to