LCD Monitor problem - pixel over saturated in pictures where colors change

I have an old Sony LCD SDM-S81 that worked fine for me for a couple weeks after I got it used. Today, I found it displaying pictures badly, distorting the colors by seemingly greatly exagerating the intensity of colors in areas with changing shades of colors (Photos and Video, mostly). Additionally, the colors seem to flicker, as if the problem alternates at a high rate.

Can anyone give me any advance clues as to what to look for when I open it up?

It is the monitor. Plugging in my old CRT shows no suck problem.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bob F

after

with

colors

up?

Sell it to a dance/night club ?

Reply to
N_Cook

Looks like an intermittant problem. Today it's working.

Bad solder joint?

Bob F wrote:

Reply to
Bob F

That would certainly be the first thing to check.

Is the problem on all colors, or just one?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

First thing I saw was orange areas around faces, but also distortion on blue areas, like a picture of an alpine lake. So probably all colors.

Reply to
Bob F

Do you mean there's smearing or "blooming"?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I don't know the proper term I guess.

On faces, there were irregular bright orange areas on faces, mostly near the edges.

The lake picture had bright blue areas scattered of the darker blue surface, along with exagerated colors on some of the surrounding mountains and vegetation.

It showed things OK as far as I could tell on windows like outlook express where colors were solid with sharp edges. Other windows with "solid" colors that fade slightly from one shade to another would have exagerated colors in parts of those shaded areas.

I tried taking some pictures. I'll see if I can find a place to post them.

Reply to
Bob F

Bob F wrote:

And now it's not working right. It seems to flip-flop maybe once a day.

Reply to
Bob F

FWIW. I finally got around to opening the monitor. I unplugged and replugged the internal connectors, and tried it again. It seems, so far, to be working fine now. Maybe I got lucky.

Reply to
Bob F

Obviously, the problem was caused by oxidized connections. Did you use a cleaning agent, such as DeOxit, before reattaching the connectors? This might keep the problem from recurring.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I didn't, but will if the problem re-occurs. Thanks.

Reply to
Bob F