Laser printer went blank

Brother HL-5170DN

The next-to-last page I printed was faded?very pale text. The next one was blank, white.

If it was the fuser I know I?d see the text on the page but it would be just powdered toner and smear easily. Not so.

Lots of toner. Still, I took out the cart and shook it around and reinstalled. No joy.

Where to start looking?

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

If there is no dusting or latent image on the drum/transfer sheet, when halting the machine mid-cycle and opening up, then failed corona generator perhaps

Reply to
N_Cook

That would be my guess - AFAICR: the laser discharges the static charge on the photoconductive film at the points where no toner should be attracted to.

I think a failed laser would result in a completely black page, maybe the transistor that drives the laser going leaky - but that's in a critical constant current loop, a leaky transistor would probably destroy the laser.

Reply to
Ian Field

If it faded like that, I would guess(tm) that you're out of toner. Try a different or new toner cart anyway.

Also, I've seen the shutter mechanism jam or break on the toner cart or at the entrance slot to the laser scanner. Play with the toner cart mechanism and see if the protective shutters are operating normally.

Just for grins, try a test page from the printer, not the computah. If the test page works, look for computer problems.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On 24 Oct 2015, Ian Field wrote (in article):

Any idea the approx voltage of the corona wire? I could check, but it would be nice to know if it?s 300, 600, 1000?

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

More like 2,000 to 5,000V. The generator is often a selfcontained unit off 28V or so, with just an on/off control line. Flop a 100M resistor to the corona wire and insulated lead out to a neon bulb to frame , in the first instance.

Reply to
N_Cook

Pretty sure I've seen one at 6kV, most were somewhere around the 5kV mark.

Some older types are pretty sturdy and can give a nasty nip. Unlikely to be as dangerous as microwave oven innards, but I still wouldn't bother sticking my fingers in there!

Reply to
Ian Field