Laser printer booting problem

I'm trying to track down a rather odd problem with an 1993-vintage HP Laserjet 4. On occasions the printer works fine, test prints and parallel port prints work fine (apart from a minor paper jam, but that's why the printer was free).

But particularly when running it from cold (been off for a few hours/days) it does something odd. On powerup the fans come on, the fuser starts warming up, everything behaves normally except the display doesn't work. The control panel has about 8 buttons, 3 LEDs and a VFD. Normally the VFD would say '05 SELF TEST' immediately on powerup and three LEDs come on, then go off once self test mode has completed.

But from cold the VFD doesn't come on. What's odd is that the LEDs do light up as normal, but at half brightness. If you hold down some buttons the LEDs get dimmer, the more buttons the dimmer they get. Would that suggest the LEDs are being powered parasitically through some pullup resistor? The LEDs go out at the same point in the warmup sequence as they do when the display is working, but the printer refuses to print from the computer. The self test modes are accessed through the menus, which of course I can't see with the display dead.

There are two boards to the printer: the DC controller and the formatter. The formatter has the CPU, the DC controller is just a pair of ASICs to control all the motors, switches etc. The display plugs into the formatter. There's an 'engine test' button that bypasses the formatter, which works fine (prints a page of vertical lines) whether the display is working or not. So I think either the formatter is working but confused (which would account for the lights going off at the right time) or it's not working at all in this case and the lights-out is from the DC controller. The 10 pin display cable is tracked off to an ASIC on the formatter, so no help there. Needless to say the display is plugged in OK.

There's a good service manual, but unfortunately this fault isn't covered. It says there are two power supply rails, +24V and +5V (plus a HV feed to the fuser). I would measure them, except having taken the thing apart I have to wait another day before it starts exhibiting the problem again.

So any suggestions to possible areas to look? I'd guess maybe something like:

1) Power supply dropout: +5V is dropping out enough to fail to run the formatter correctly 2) Power on reset isn't working 3) Some kind of earth loop? It's difficult to test because it'll start working spontaneously anyway. But it still happens even when the parallel cable is removed (parallel comes from JetDirect printerserver box connected to ethernet and same mains socket as printer)

Might it be a dry cap somewhere? That might explain why it sometimes works OK after it's been power cycled enough times. There are only a few tant decouplers on the formatter board and none on the DC controller.

Cheers, Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

You've almost certainly got a dried out cap or a cold solder joint in the power supply somewhere. A can of freeze spray can help you find that.

Reply to
James Sweet

As well, on a machine that old (I have an HP LJ III - circa 1990), age may have played a factor in one or more of the board-to-board connectors. You could try carefully unplugging and re-plugging each one a couple of times.

While clearing out "papers and stuff" several years ago, I came across the cancelled check for that printer: $1,872.50 -- and *that* was in

1990 dollars! I taped the check to the lid of the printer.

HTH Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2

Have a look here:-

Colin

Reply to
Colin Horsley

Thanks, I think I'll do that when I've had a chance to buy the caps (there are some odd values like 180uF 400V and 1200uF 35V). There's some singeing of the PSU PCB on the primary side but all the joints look OK... but I can't measure the resistors near the singeing until I get my multimeter sorted (see Fluke 87 thread).

The build quality is pretty good, especially with the service manual saying exactly how to remove each part.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I've now replaced all the caps and it's on soak test - seems to be working fine (this post hereby constitutes my 'tempting fate' test). There wasn't anything obviously wrong with any of them - I ought to make myself an ESR meter sometime to test this sort of thing.

One thing I wondered - there were two 1200uF 35V 105degC electrolytics in parallel after the coil acting as smoothing of the +5V output. Since they were in parallel and that value is a bit tricky to get (I've not heard of electrolytics in E12 values before) I replaced both with a single 3300uF 35V

105degC which fits (just about) in the same space. But I wondered if there was a thermal reason for this - would having two caps in parallel cause them to heat up less and so last longer?

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

There usually isn't anything obviously wrong, they have to get REALLY bad before they leak or bulge and most circuits will stop working long before then. An ESR meter is second only to a DMM for repairing modern stuff.

Reply to
James Sweet