lacie external usb hard drive, power connector pinout?

found this drive in a skip. uses a 4 pin MINI DIN connector but i have no idea of pinouts. the drive is a LACIE PORSCHE and the only model ref no. I can see is 1023504145065F 3U2

any ideas? B

b Inscribed thus:

On mine (not Lacie branded but physically similar) pins 3 & 4 are ground and case common. Pin 1 is 12v pin 2 is 5v.

Before doing anything I would check that the 12v line from the drive actually goes to pin 1. The same goes for pin 2.

YMMV. HTH.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Thank you tons for this post. I was able to revive our porsche design lacie hard drive by this post, and move all of its contents onto a usb eternal hard drive of todays standards.

Pins 3&4 are ground, Pin 1=12V, and Pin 2=5V. I doubly verified by continuity testing each pin to the red, yellow and black wires that power the drive. The standard is maintained where Black is Ground, Red is 5V and Yellow is 12V.

It may also prove useful to others that this is the correct pinout for the LaCie Mini Hard Drive (FW 400 only)

4-Minipin 708014
Reply to
oirwin

ie hard drive by this post, and move all of its contents onto a usb eternal= hard drive of todays standards.

ntinuity testing each pin to the red, yellow and black wires that power the= drive. The standard is maintained where Black is Ground, Red is 5V and Yel= low is 12V.

Glad you got a result. As a bizarre coincidence, I picked this up again only last week during a clearout after about 2 years! (I got distracted by other more pressing things, and the drive had got buried in my workshop).

I ended up putting the drive itself into another usb caddy I have to test it, but it turned out to be defective, so I junked the lot. Looks like we have 'closure', as the psycho- babblers would say ....!

-B

How'd you test it? Many LaCie drives were mated to Macintosh systems, it wouldn't show up on Windows. And, if the drive mechanism was bad, the case/interface is probably still fine, why junk it?

Reply to
whit3rd

Not LaCie, but i have had more cases die than drives.

YMMV

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

The drive squeaked mechanically on startup and shut down which was rather disconcerting. Attempting an xp repartition/reformat gave errors/damage messages the lacie caddy had no psu , I didn't even have a suitable plug to connect one, in any case. At the end of the day, it cost me nothing... .B