Kutztown XXXIX

Hmm, this slideshow is not working on my MAC in either Firefox or Safari...I just see the first photo, but the arrow keys are unresponsive.

Looking forward to the pictures!

John :-#(#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

It's not your Mac. My PC does the same thing (using Firefox or Chrome).

While waiting to get the slide show thing fixed, he has some other slides and videos of previous shows on his web pile: The most recent is near the bottom of the page which is where I found this 2018(?) photo gallery:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

At the bottom of the opening screen picture is an icon of a movie camera. Click on that.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Working now, thanks!

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

I'm sure 39 would be easier on the eyes than the flashier XXXIX.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

It will be better next year - XV - and then XVI and so on.

Works for me! I like to exercise my few working brain cells whenever possible.

And I got 19% in Latin back in grade 9! (private school - UCC, that school and I didn't get along)

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

XL, as it happens.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Now you know why I got only 19% in Latin!

L = 50 V = 5

sigh...

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

There were, perhaps, 15+ boom boxes that I saw more-or-less equally distributed through both pavilions, from a very nice looking, quite large Grundig to a "Sonic" approximately the size of a modern aircraft carrier. "

Thanks for scouting! Not a bad number. Get a feel for prices on them? I will seriously consider attending May or September's show next year if at least a dozen boom boxes are in attendance.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

What's your fancy? I have a few in storage that I'd be willing to unload if you pay the freight. These would be 90s vintage.

Reply to
John-Del

John Del:

Early 80s, must have four-band(AM-FM-SW1+2) tuner and RCAs for external inputs.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

The ones I have generally have CDs and cassettes, which probably place them in the 90s somewhere. I'll check next week.

Reply to
John-Del

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 3:28:50 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com w rote:

The Grundig wanted serious $$, asking was $200. The rest were all under $10

0 where prices were marked. Most were unmarked. None wound up on the donati ons pile (AKA Buy-it-Now), which suggests something.

NOTE: There could be 2 or 20 next show. For instance, there was only one st eam-engine this year, a large walking-arm device, but there was also a glas s (yes, glass) operating 4-stroke gasoline engine as a teaching tool. It ra n for several hours on Friday afternoon. So, it is always a mixed bag of of random stuff - apart from the vintage radios, that is.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

pf: Under $100? That's my range! As long as everything on it works. I can always clean dirty tape heads and replace a missing mast.

Now I regret not having gone! I hope next year's shows are as prolific, boombox wise.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I don't think it works that way.

ONe year at the oldest and largest local used book sale, I came upon some technical books, including a 4th edition of the Radiotron Designer's Handbook. All only a few dollars each. That got me excited, I hadn't paid attention to that section before. And I did after that, and never saw that sort of book there again.

Hobby electronic books would appear every few years, but nothing significant. There was no trending.

But I know that finding something I really want makes me hope. Whether it's a book sale or garage sale, finding something really good pulls me along, it gets me excited and I keep at it, hoping to find some of the same, and inevitably it doesn't, though usually I find something else that's interesting and exciting.

Though, for about a decade, I was finding shortwave receivers every year, recnt and old, all for under ten dollars. I even saw that Astronaut 7 that I had decided I wanted, after finding a lone copy of ELementary Electronics with the radio advertised on the back cover. But it was plugged in and being used, so I assume it wasn't for sale, but probably I should have asked. But it was a good run, both a Grundig 500 and 700, a Sony SW-1 with accessories in the "suitcase", some older fairly generic portables that included a shortwave band or two, and the TMC GPR-90 for $20 which was the only tube receiver I saw during that priod. The last one was about 2016, an early seventies Panasoic (I think) portable that looked like a piece of stereo equipment, but was a multiband portable.

So the search never ends, who knows what you'll find tomorrow. Just yesterday I found a CD that is a fairly popular album, but I've never seen it on CD in the used market.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Keep alert!

I work as a volunteer in a used book store operated by The Friends Of The Library. Over the last year or so we've seen a Big Uptick in book donations from Baby Boomers that are now moving on to assisted living or nursing homes -- or just downsizing their housing. Many times it all comes from their offspring who are in a hurry to clean out the house and sell it. So, there seems to be little regard to the valuation.

(Sadly, a Great Percentage is comprised of baby boomer college text books -- and worthless.)

So, I would assume a lot of the "stuff" covered in the OP and followups is out there to be discovered. Unfortunately "they" might find it more convenient and simple to toss it in the Roll-Off Roll-On dumpster along with the bean bag chairs, lava lamps, shag carpet, and 8-track decks.

But, keep trolling the second hand stores! (... or, dumpster dive!)

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | Marvin      | W3DHJ.net  | linux
   38.238N 104.547W |  @ jonz.net | Jonesy     |  FreeBSD

Allodoxaphobia:

Boomboxes, at least those of the golden era (late 1970s to mid 1980s) have largely run their course on the thrift store and yard sale circuit. Most are now sold only on line, or at shows like Kutztown/Renninger's. What I have seen at tag sales lately is not pretty.

So I'll just have to make sure I have those two days free in May and in Sept. of next year. The three hour drive might just be worth it!

Reply to
thekmanrocks