Kutztown XXXIX

It is just about time to annoy you with announcements for Kutztown XXXIX - a very large 2.5-day vintage radio/equipment meet in Kutztown, Adams County, PA.

http://www.dvhrc.com/kutztown.html

Set-up for vendors and club members is Thursday, the meet starts in earnest very early Friday morning, and is more-or-less wrapped up by 1:00 pm Saturday.

Watch this space for my usual list of freebies and such. I am culling the herd, and this is your opportunity to take advantage.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Kutztown XXXIX
Vintage 'boom boxes'?

Re: Kutztown XXXIX

More than a few. Look in the pictures on the DVHRC website.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: Kutztown XXXIX
Thanks.  Looked at photos from several years' meets. Did not see any.

Looking for era 1980-85: JVC, Toshiba, LaSonic etc. blasters.

Re: Kutztown XXXIX

There  are always some. One guy specializes in post 1980 'decline of stereo' equipment, another specializes in "everything else", and brings 2-3 each year.

Then, one of the buskers at the dinner uses one for his background music.

Not to put too fine a point on it, John tends to focus on more vintage items and more presentable tables than maintained by each of the above.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: Kutztown XXXIX

I have a RCA RADIOLA 24 portable suitcase battery radio from 1925 that
has a built in speaker..

Vintage enough?

John ;-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
Re: Kutztown XXXIX
"Vintage enough?"

With all due respect, these *are* my "cathedrals":

https://www.flickr.com/photos/spanier/2345916780/sizes/z/

They sound better than their equivalents today, and most
have shortwave in addition to FM/AM, cassette, and provisions
to play sound from a smart phone or iPod, all in a portable
package with a handle.

Re: Kutztown XXXIX

Not my speed but some of those are pretty good radios.  I couldn't count the number of them I serviced over the years.  The cassettes were always the weak points, but the tuners, amps, and speakers are pretty stout.

Re: Kutztown XXXIX
John-Del:

Too bad so many of them back in the day got
slammed between school-bus doors, if you
know what I mean.  Plus, boxes of that era
are at least twenty years past the end of their
yard sale circuit.  I do not see the justification
of charging 2-3x original 1980s retail to sell
one on e-bay.

Re: Kutztown XXXIX
 I do not see the justification

You can "charge" what you want.  No one is being forced to buy.  What someone is willing to pay is another thing altogether.  If people are paying 2X or more than 80s retail, then that's what they're worth.

Re: Kutztown XXXIX
The thing is, ghetto-blasters are not current
technology.  99% of folks under 30 do not
find carrying around such an item all that
appealing.

Re: Kutztown XXXIX
On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 10:41:14 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.

With that in mind, there is an entire generation that believes that good so
und may be had with 1" speaker attached to a laptop computer and/or earbuds
. So a Ghetto Blaster may not be current technology, in a similar way that
an AR3a speaker may not be current technology. The GB bears the same basic
relationship to the 3a as earbuds bear to the GB. Enjoy, in any case.

And if you are able to get to Kuztown (Friday all day or Saturday before 10
 am are the best times) do so! There may not be a huge variety of GBs, but
there will be many other things as may catch your eye.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: Kutztown XXXIX

If you aren't into it why not go and create something useful instead of
trying to annoy people with trollish behaviour? That is a boring way to
live and not much use to your fellow humans or other creatures who share
this planet.

Are you personally offended that people are still willing to pay money
for these?

You appear to have no clue as to what it takes to be either a collector,
or a supplier of product to collectors and their technical support. I
deal in amusement game products going back to the 1800s, all of which
sells for more than it originally did, but in adjusted dollars is
probably still worth about the same. The collector is usually happy to
be able to find the item, and every now and then one finds a bargain -
which only sweetens the game!

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
Re: Kutztown XXXIX
John Robertson:

I don't think there's anything "trollish".  In my circle,
I'm the only one who owns at least three vintage
blasters.  Plus I actually use them, on occasion.

I'm not rich you know, but still want to collect one
or two good working examples before I retire and
my income heads south faster than geese in the
fall.

What forms of payment are accepted at the show?
I guess it varies per vendor?

Re: Kutztown XXXIX

My apologies if I misread your previous comments:

---------(quote)--------

The thing is, ghetto-blasters are not current
technology.  99% of folks under 30 do not
find carrying around such an item all that
appealing.

----------(end quote)---------

I thought it sounded patronizing. The conversation was about vintage
collectables I thought.

John :-#(#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
Re: Kutztown XXXIX
John Robertson wrote: "I thought it sounded patronizing.
The conversation was about vintage collectables I thought.

John :-#(# "

Completely unintended - to be trolling or
patronizing.  I'm just one of the most misunderstood
people you will ever meet - online or in person.

I was born in 1970, so the boomboxes of the late
'70s - early '80s are my generation's "vintage" radios.

;)

Re: Kutztown XXXIX

Yeah, that is a problem with postings, on either side they can get
misunderstood!

I was born in the early 50s, and no one understands me!

Take care,

John ;-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
Re: Kutztown XXXIX
On 9/12/18 5:34 PM, John Robertson wrote:
 > I was born in the early 50s, and no one understands me!

Obviously, I do, 'cause I was born in '53

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

some on ebay are very cheap. Though it's funny what passes for a boombox sometimes.

NT

Re: Kutztown XXXIX

There's also that period when you sort of had hybrids, things that were
portable like boomboxes (ie they ran off batteries, and they had a handle)
but the speakers could be unhitched and moved remotely.

And there was a period when boomboxes were "stereo systems" to some
people, not just to be portable but that's what they used at home.  The
sad thing is even small systems like that were traded in by many, they get
rid of something that was somewhat reasonable, and replace it with a
docking station for their MP3 players.  SO the speakers are relatively
small, and it's not like that Advent FM rado from the seventies where
Henry Kloss put a good FM radio with a decent external speaker.

But then I remember gettign into an argument not that many years ago with
someone because I said I used a used AM/FM stereo receiver and some
Minimus 7 speakers as my "computer speakers"  and he just knew that you
had to use the right thing for the right task. So obviously you have to
toss out your good stereo system, or even good boombox, when a new wave
comes along like MP3 players and docking stations.

   Michael

Site Timeline