Kutztown XXXIX

It is just about time to annoy you with announcements for Kutztown XXXIX - a very large 2.5-day vintage radio/equipment meet in Kutztown, Adams County, PA.

Set-up for vendors and club members is Thursday, the meet starts in earnest very early Friday morning, and is more-or-less wrapped up by 1:00 pm Saturday.

Watch this space for my usual list of freebies and such. I am culling the herd, and this is your opportunity to take advantage.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Vintage 'boom boxes'?

Reply to
thekmanrocks

More than a few. Look in the pictures on the DVHRC website.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Thanks. Looked at photos from several years' meets. Did not see any.

Looking for era 1980-85: JVC, Toshiba, LaSonic etc. blasters.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

There are always some. One guy specializes in post 1980 'decline of stereo' equipment, another specializes in "everything else", and brings 2-3 each year.

Then, one of the buskers at the dinner uses one for his background music.

Not to put too fine a point on it, John tends to focus on more vintage items and more presentable tables than maintained by each of the above.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

I have a RCA RADIOLA 24 portable suitcase battery radio from 1925 that has a built in speaker..

Vintage enough?

John ;-#)#

-- (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup) John's Jukes Ltd. MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3 (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)

John Robertson

"Vintage enough?"

With all due respect, these *are* my "cathedrals":

They sound better than their equivalents today, and most have shortwave in addition to FM/AM, cassette, and provisions to play sound from a smart phone or iPod, all in a portable package with a handle.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Not my speed but some of those are pretty good radios. I couldn't count the number of them I serviced over the years. The cassettes were always the weak points, but the tuners, amps, and speakers are pretty stout.

Reply to
John-Del

John-Del:

Too bad so many of them back in the day got slammed between school-bus doors, if you know what I mean. Plus, boxes of that era are at least twenty years past the end of their yard sale circuit. I do not see the justification of charging 2-3x original 1980s retail to sell one on e-bay.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I do not see the justification

You can "charge" what you want. No one is being forced to buy. What someone is willing to pay is another thing altogether. If people are paying 2X or more than 80s retail, then that's what they're worth.

Reply to
John-Del

The thing is, ghetto-blasters are not current technology. 99% of folks under 30 do not find carrying around such an item all that appealing.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.

With that in mind, there is an entire generation that believes that good so und may be had with 1" speaker attached to a laptop computer and/or earbuds . So a Ghetto Blaster may not be current technology, in a similar way that an AR3a speaker may not be current technology. The GB bears the same basic relationship to the 3a as earbuds bear to the GB. Enjoy, in any case.

And if you are able to get to Kuztown (Friday all day or Saturday before 10 am are the best times) do so! There may not be a huge variety of GBs, but there will be many other things as may catch your eye.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

If you aren't into it why not go and create something useful instead of trying to annoy people with trollish behaviour? That is a boring way to live and not much use to your fellow humans or other creatures who share this planet.

Are you personally offended that people are still willing to pay money for these?

You appear to have no clue as to what it takes to be either a collector, or a supplier of product to collectors and their technical support. I deal in amusement game products going back to the 1800s, all of which sells for more than it originally did, but in adjusted dollars is probably still worth about the same. The collector is usually happy to be able to find the item, and every now and then one finds a bargain - which only sweetens the game!

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Do you happen to have a Kumho boombox? Not a joke- they were made by LG in the early 80s.

Reply to
Chuck

Things are only worth what you can sell them for.

A silver dollar is only worth a dollar all the time. However some old ones are worth many dollars. I don't know the price of silver now, but the true silver dollars now have more silver in them if melted down than a dollar.

A painting only has a few dollars worth of canvas and paint. Some sell for thousands and millions of dollars depending on who did the painting.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

John Robertson:

I don't think there's anything "trollish". In my circle, I'm the only one who owns at least three vintage blasters. Plus I actually use them, on occasion.

I'm not rich you know, but still want to collect one or two good working examples before I retire and my income heads south faster than geese in the fall.

What forms of payment are accepted at the show? I guess it varies per vendor?

Reply to
thekmanrocks

My apologies if I misread your previous comments:

---------(quote)--------

The thing is, ghetto-blasters are not current technology. 99% of folks under 30 do not find carrying around such an item all that appealing.

----------(end quote)---------

I thought it sounded patronizing. The conversation was about vintage collectables I thought.

John :-#(#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

John Robertson wrote: "I thought it sounded patronizing. The conversation was about vintage collectables I thought.

John :-#(# "

Completely unintended - to be trolling or patronizing. I'm just one of the most misunderstood people you will ever meet - online or in person.

I was born in 1970, so the boomboxes of the late '70s - early '80s are my generation's "vintage" radios.

;)

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Yeah, that is a problem with postings, on either side they can get misunderstood!

I was born in the early 50s, and no one understands me!

Take care,

John ;-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

On 9/12/18 5:34 PM, John Robertson wrote: > I was born in the early 50s, and no one understands me!

Obviously, I do, 'cause I was born in '53

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0