Kernel Panic on RCA Television

I had an RCA L32WD12 LCD HD Television set that would occasionally exhibit a problem that looked like a kernel panic on a Unix computer.

When viewing channel D3-1 (Tampa) and pressing the "Info" button on the remote, the information window would first appear but the screen would immediately be flooded with white text. At that point, you could still see the picture being updated behind the clutter, and hear the sound. However nothing else would work. You couldn't change channels or turn off the power.

The only escape was to unplug the set. Plugging back in after a few seconds, the set would come back up in the "on" state. After the usual initialization, it would be tuned to Channel D10-1 (also Tampa), but the channel label would still be D3-1.

Afterward, everything seemed to be OK except that date and time had been lost. By changing the channel, channel label numbers were corrected. The Info button worked correctly on all other channels, but when returning to D3-1, the problem would recur every time.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it a correctable problem? If I were to purchase another RCA, is it likely to happen again?

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

A follow-up if anyone is interested. A Google search of the model number found a forum that was discussing a different problem (disappearing time and date). Two or three people also mentioned having the problem of text flooding the screen, so my experience isn't totally unique.

Assuming the problem might be caused by corruption of a CMOS RAM contents, it may be possible to reset the unit to factory defaults by leaving it unplugged for an hour. No one commented about whether that cured their text-flooding problem, and I no longer have the set to try it.

I asked the question here in case I wanted to try another one. After reading comments in the other forum, I realized that it would be a bad idea.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie