JVC RX-807V receiver. One channel distorted when SEA is enabled.

One those 100Ks might have been open. When you unsoldered them you "fixed" them. This will not be permanent.

That was a problem sometimes, I learned to just use circuit values. Unless it is tube stuff you you cannot even check them in circuit, and you heat th e leads to take them out of circuit and many of the "heal up" all the sudde n, which can lead you down the garden path.

Been there done that. I would change them, what are we taking here ten cent s ? That vs customer satisfaction is easy to figure out. Any circuit with e ven those slightly ambiguous results, change the high value resistors.

Reply to
jurb6006

I think you misunderstood what happened. I inserted those 100k resistors myself as a modification to see if the DC voltages would stabilize. They were not part of the original circuit. After I installed them, operation returned to normal. When I changed the capacitors on that pc board to match the values in the schematic, I removed the resistors just to see if the circuit would work "as designed." (I put that in quotes because we never really know if the schematic matches what comes off the production line.) Without those resistors, the problem recurred. Therefore I reinstalled the resistors and it's all good now.

I hope that made sense.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

he

was

.4

th

3

n 6

ed

Hello David -- I just picked up a used RX707 that is doing the same exact thing...after he ating up the right channel is distorting badly, but only when SEA is switch ed in. From what I can take from your discussion above, you solved the pro blem by adding 100k resistors from two of the pins of IC503 to ground? Whi ch two pins get the resistors? Has that fix lasted long term? I love the fact that you can basically save a different EQ for each of your sources, s omething that today's products don't allow. Thanks for the info if you can provide it. Mike

Reply to
mikeberlak

Hi Mike,

Yes, the problem seems to have been fixed long term. The pins in question on IC503 where I installed the 100k resistors to ground were the noninverting pins, #3 and #5.

Good luck.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

appears to be an actual design error m

Reply to
makolber

I agree with your conclusion about the design error but how did this receiver ever work properly as initially designed? I imagine there would have been a lot of returns!

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

receiver ever work properly as initially designed"

Having dealt with leakage on PC boards it might be that internal leakage in the IC pulled it to ground but with very high resistance.

Over years and exposure to humidity it picks up other leakage from traces o n the PC board and throws off the bias.

Either that or there were high value resistors internal to the IC that have gone open over the years. the higher the value the more likely they are to open up. True of regular resistors, why not ones internal to an IC. I have actually had this on a TV once. Had to add a 1 meg to ground to fix it, or replace the IC. The 1 meg did just fine.

Reply to
jurb6006

Hello as i observed the board i suspect the ic501 and ic 502 do you think thats the problem i baught those is from ebay

Reply to
jeffrey.tapangco1

I think the ic 501 is bad

Reply to
jeffrey.tapangco1

make the modification i described in the previous post. mark

Reply to
makolber

Hi David. I know this thread is a bit old. How do you solder the 100k resistor to noninverting pins #3 and #5? Do you happen to have a picture of the actual solder of the resistor? Also on the resistor, what watt is the resistor? Thanks!

Reply to
cpthao

The wattage is unimportant. If you're using leaded resistors, use 1/8 watt and go from pins 3 and 5 to the nearest ground (like pin 4). What I would do is use a couple of smd resistors and tack them from pins 3 and 5 to pin 4 ground.

Did anyone try actually replacing those op-amps?

Reply to
John-Del