JVC RV-B99GY Kaboom Boom Box problem

I'm new here so I don't really know all the info I should post. Before I do anything to this radie i'd like to get a few suggestions, please. TIA.

I have a jvc rv-b99gy Kaboom boom box that once turned off will not turn on again with the power button or remote. It has to be unplugged and plugged back up again. There are no batteries in it. All of the functions seem to w ork' via remote or chassis buttons, except for turning back on again. I can 't turn it on with either the remote or chassis buttons. It did work correctly a week ago. Nothing that i know of happened too it in the meantime.

Reply to
LINDA B

Check for a small transformer that delivers a 5V standby voltage. There ma y be poor solder connections around that area. No standby, no CPU and no c ontrol. The 5V will drive a crystal that is what the CPU is based upon. E ven the chassis button is read by the CPU.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

I've brought home boomboxes that wouldn't work, unless they had batteries. At least one required some AA batteries (which were in addition to any D batteries needed to run it off batteries). Even running off the AC line required those batteries for proper operation.

It's not unlike many a digital camera, that has some button cells for housekeeping in addition to the AA batteries needed for actual operation.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

may be poor solder connections around that area. No standby, no CPU and no control. The 5V will drive a crystal that is what the CPU is based upon. Even the chassis button is read by the CPU.

Thank you, i'll try this after I get done checking on the outside.

Reply to
LINDA B

Thank you, i didn't even think of AA or button cells. If it takes those and they became corroded or slipped, or just old, it would be a problem. I must investigate.

Reply to
LINDA B

do anything to this radie i'd like to get a few >suggestions, please. TIA. "

This is an unmoderated Usenet newsgroup which means you can post anything y ou want, even threaten someone, but they can find you and if, well you know the rest. I mean if you are a registered CCW you probably are better off t hreatening the government. Anyone on the internet can read what you post.

on again with the power button or remote."

This is not good. It does not sound like bad filters or anything easy like that. Sounds like a software problem, or, as I found recently a hidden prob lem in the CD drive screwing up the whole system. I work on Karaoke players and if the CD drive gets into a knipshit it can confuse the microprocessor .

In those cases, unplugging can work, like it did for you.

In this case I don't know what to tell you. Just watch for mechanical probl ems first and then for bad filters. That usually works the best these days.

Reply to
jurb6006

I do anything to this radie i'd like to get a few >suggestions, please. TI A. "

you want, even threaten someone, but they can find you and if, well you kn ow the rest. I mean if you are a registered CCW you probably are better off threatening the government. Anyone on the internet can read what you post.

rn on again with the power button or remote."

e that. Sounds like a software problem, or, as I found recently a hidden pr oblem in the CD drive screwing up the whole system. I work on Karaoke playe rs and if the CD drive gets into a knipshit it can confuse the microprocess or.

blems first and then for bad filters. That usually works the best these day s.

Thank you for the advice, i'm new here not on the internet. I do try to be polite when asking for help. Anyway, my husband doesn't want me to try to f ix it, opting to leave it running 24 hrs. a day. I work on things more comp licated than his radio and usually fix them. I offered to fix it, so his pr oblem now. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Reply to
LINDA B