JVC AV-28WT2EK television popped and died

We have a JVC AV-28WT2EK which has been working perfectly until today. For a few seconds before it died, the picture went squashed to the bottom of the screen, there was a loud pop/bang then the screen went blank.

If you switch it on now, it goes into standby, applying power via the remote, there is a 'ping/hiss' noise from the tube, which then starts to come through the speakers as well. This lasts a few seconds before the TV puts itself back into standby. The screen stays steadfastly black.

I did wonder with the pop if there would be anything visibly fried inside, but cannot see any signs of 'explosions' or anything. :-)

Having successfully repaired my VCR power supply after getting help online (by replacing several capacitors), I wondered if I might be able to do the same with the TV? Anyone any pointers - or ideas on what it could be/what I should do first?

Cheers, Colin.

PDF user manual

- don't seem to be able to find a service manual free online.

Reply to
Colin Jones

******************* If the picture went squashed to the bottom, it would appear that you have a vertical deflection problem. I would check the vertical section ( the IC, caps)
Reply to
Searching

The hissing sound sounds like an electrolytic going bad.

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:17:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@att.net Has Frothed:

Or a snake has crawled inside.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Sometimes it's only the snake that keeps it running.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

This unit is well known for the 200. or 2220 m at 200 volts cap in the power supply going back look at the largest electroletic cap towards the right and see if the top looks puffed up. if not check the others But I would bet that , that is the problem

Reply to
David Naylor

known for the 200. or 2220 m at 200 volts cap in the

Unfortunately none of the electrolytic capacitors (as far as I can tell) have any *visible* problems with them - I have scrutinised the whole board pretty carefully! I have a small analogue multimeter, and was trying to follow the FAQ instructions for testing them here:

- it does appear to go over to the right, then charge slowly up to infinite - I couldn't quite work out from the FAQ what is supposed to happen if the polarity is reversed

- the multimeter just went over to the right but did not really move, but I am only following the info - so may not be interpreting the results correctly! :-)

There is some power as when it is on, the red standby LED is on, and you can use the remote and switch on the set. When you do this the other LEDs on the front all come on as usual, and there is a purple glow from the tube, but coupled with a nasty crackling noise, and the set switches back to standby after a few seconds.

When it is in standby there is a very quiet 'tick-tick' sound from the right-hand board. I've heard that this is a capacitor type noise as well? However I don't know whether this is 'normal' when in standby or whether it should be totally silent?

Reply to
Colin Jones

The clue to your problem perhaps lies in the symptom just before it died. I would suspect the frame drive IC, since you say the picture squashed down. It is also possible that one of the low voltage regulators may have a problem too.. In my experience with all JVC sets, I haven't had any real problems with electrolytics on these sets- frame ICs however are more common.. The set is now trying to run up with a shorted/faulty IC thus as it fires up and voltages come up, you get the eht rustle etc, but then the current protection cct is detecting a fault and tripping the set for safety. The ticking is the set running normally in standby/burst mode just to give some voltages for micro and remote operation.

If you want a pdf service manual email me and I'll send it to you. (at your risk of course)

Cliff T> > Col> > > We have a JVC AV-28WT2EK which has been working perfectly until today.

able

is well known for the 200. or 2220 m at 200 volts cap in the

Reply to
Cliff Top