JBL PSW-D110 SUBWOOFER PROBLEM AND REPAIR PARTS I HAVE AVAILABLE

I have a slightly used and working Power Module Part Number 60301 / S53AMI for the JBL PSW-D110 Subwoofer made by JBL in stock for immediate delivery. I will supply it with a NEW replacement 10uF /100V non-polarized electrolytic capacitor for location C6 on the amplifier board also. The originals were 10uf/50v value and usually failed or exploded and are indicated to require upgrade to a 100V DC value as per their Service Bulletins.

My PSW-D110 was beyond repair this time and I had previously ordered the module to make a repair attempt with little success. My amplifier board was obviously damaged from the previous failures which had burned some lands on the pc board after the C6 capacitor exploded among other possible failures I couldn't resolve or find. This was the second time this subwoofer had failed in 3 years of normal non-abusive use - it was dead most of the 3 years of ownership! I only found out about the factory manufacturing defects after ordering parts and investigating here on the web!

I carefully installed the replacement module from Harmon after making other repairs and it didn't do the trick although I was able to get output through the amplifier but with some "popping" noises probably due to other failing components elsewhere in the amp circuit. I reinstalled the original Amp module which again behaved in the same manner - it appears the original module was still working ok. I gave up on my subwoofer repair immediately and carefully removed the new Power Amp Module with my vacuum desoldering station and using solder wick with a minimum of heat on the new module. I believe the new removed module to be working fine and would like to get $15.00 plus $3.00 shipping for it along with a New 10uf/100V capacitor I am including for free. I paid over $36.00 plus shipping for the 60301 / S53AMI amplifier module alone. I hope this will help out another JBL victim whose unit is a better prospect for repair than mine was!

On another Customer Service - Quality Assurance note; JBL is very aware of these defective units! They sold thousands of them! It is my opinion that most of them have failed and upon calling them they offered to send me a newer replacement model (currently the JBL E150P subwoofer) upon returning proof of purchase of the PSW-D110 along with $208.40 plus tax like they were doing me a favor!!! What a scam since the E150P can be shopped below $199.00 plus shipping on NextTag.com among other places!!!

JBL should replace these for their customers who request relief at no charge since they knew about the defects! Actually they should have made an effort to recall them which I believe they never did! They have caused many dollars in loses as far as wasted time,effort,and replacement parts cost expenditure to their customers!!! I guess in the real world they just write us off like sheep!

I have always trusted, recommended, purchased, and installed JBL Professional Equipment but now have a really bad taste in my mouth after buying JBL/Harmon Consumer Electronics! Beware and let them know you aren't happy either!!!

Reply to
Angelo

I called JBL today about this amp and they were really unhelpful an

offered me the same deal they offered you. I wasn't > I have a slightly used and working Power Module Part Number 60301 /

--
lisaferrari
Reply to

Hi Kevin, Did you fine a place to order parts for this sub woofer. I

so. please let me know as my husband's blew last night and JBL was ver unhelpful.

Thank you, Lisa

Edward Moehle Wrote:

-- lisaferrari

Reply to
lisaferrari

How pathetic that what was once the leading name in the industry for loudspeaker components has fallen to such a shameful low. A sign of the times I guess. I'd used alot of their products over the years both in my home and professionally and always had the best in service from them. I'd been dusting alot of my older JBL off from my storage warehouse and getting it back in working order. After reading of the shabby way they've been treating customers now I'll be using someone else to recone all my commercial JBL loudspeakers.

Reply to
none

JBL's response to the problem on the subwoofers has been shameful, I'll admit. I think it's the potential size of their liability which has them drawing the wagons in a circle - they sold LOTS of those.

Their support of the professional products is still good, and aftermarket kits etc are poor quality so I'd recommend you hold your nose and continue to deal with them on pro stuff (different company division anyway).

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

There's quite a bit of info on the Web concerning the JBL sub problem. In one engineering forum I visited, there was a *very* detailed description of the circuit, along with a running commentary on attempted DIY fixes. I don't have the URL handy, but pulled it up on a Google search for "JBL subwoofers." The OP on that thread had a good handle on the problem....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

--