Is this overkill? (A "burn-in" warning and "uneven-aging" warning for a Samsung 27" LED-backlit TV)

Do I really have to worry about burn-in or uneven aging if watching too muc h 4:3 material, or too much CNBC, etc. on an LED-backlit LCD TV?

I haven't been getting "burn in" or anything else on my plain-old LCD monit ors....is LED backlit really more subject to burn-in and uneven-aging than plain old LCD with flourescent bulbs as the backlight?

From the user manual:

_____________________________________________________________ Wide screen format TVs (with 16:9 aspect ratios, the ratio of the screen wi dth to height) are primarily designed to view wide screen format full-motio n video. The images displayed on them should primarily be in the wide screen

16:9 ratio format, or expanded to fill the screen if your model offers this feature, with the images constantly in motion. Displaying stationary graphi cs and images on the screen, such as the dark sidebars on non-expanded standard format television video and programming, should be limited to no m ore than 5% of the total television viewing per week. Additionally, viewing other stationary images and text such as stock market crawls, video game displays, station logos, web sites or computer graphics and patterns, should be limited as described above for all televisions. Dis playing stationary images for more than 5% of total viewing time can cause uneven aging of your TV and leave subtle, but permanent burned-in ghost ima ges in the LED picture. To avoid this, vary the programming and images, and primarily display full screen moving images, not stationary patterns or dark bars. On LED models that offer picture sizing features, use these con trols to view different formats as a full screen picture. Be careful in the selec tion of television formats you use for viewing and the amount of time you v iew them. Uneven LED aging as a result of format selection and use, as well as burned in images, are not covered by your Samsung limited warranty.

Still image warning

Avoid displaying still images (such as jpeg picture files), still image ele ments (such as TV channel logos, stock or news bars at the screen bottom et c.), or programs in panorama or 4:3 image format on the screen. Constantly displ aying still pictures can cause image burn-in on the screen, which will affe ct image quality. To reduce risk of this effect, please follow the recommendat ions below: ? Avoid displaying the same TV channel for long periods. ? Always try to display a full screen image. ? Reduce brightness and contrast to avoid the appearance of after-images. ? Use all TV features designed to reduce image retention and screen burn. Refer to proper user manual section for details. ____________________________________________________

Reply to
jaynews

"jaynews"

Do I really have to worry about burn-in or uneven aging if watching too much

4:3 material, or too much CNBC, etc. on an LED-backlit LCD TV?

I haven't been getting "burn in" or anything else on my plain-old LCD monitors....is LED backlit really more subject to burn-in and uneven-aging than plain old LCD with flourescent bulbs as the backlight?

From the user manual:

** Same warning goes with nearly every LCD, Plasma or CRT TV.

AFAIK - the LEDs have nothing to do with it.

All it really means is that if you DO get some burn in - the maker does not cover it under warranty.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Den 02-09-2013, skrev jaynews:

Nothing to do with the backlight.

You could probably tear off the backlight, put the LCD in front of a window and get the same amount of burn-in. :-)

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

I know of no burn-in mechanism associated with any type of LCD display (though individual pixels can get "stuck", and require "exercising" to free up).

Plasma displays are another matter. I would burn in the set with at least 80 hours of full-screen display, or a "noise" image, before even considering watching Panavision, or even 1:1.85 films. The claims that burn-in damage cannot occur are bald-faced lies.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

En el artículo , William Sommerwerck escribió:

You've misunderstood the question. The OP is talking about screen burn, not burning-in a device (part of post-manufacture testing).

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)

I think you misunderstood maybe the answer.

Reply to
dave

I knew exactly what he was talking about. "Burn-in" might not be the best term ("break-in" might be better), but it is a fact that, during the first 100 hours or so of plasma operation, it is possible to "age" the screen unevenly. I know, because I did it to my display.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Just to clarify the point... "screen burn" refers to leaving a bright, unmoving area on the screen for an excessive length of time. This can cause a temporary ghost image -- or a permanent burn if it lasts too long.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"William Sommerwanker"

** Bragging about your ignorance again?

FFS - Google the damn topic.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** Bragging about your ignorance again?

Showing your inability to read again?

You're misreading the article. I have never heard of "stuck" LCD pixels described as a form of "burn in".

Phil strikes me as the sort of person who would never admit to being ignorant about anything. It's hard to imagine him ever saying "I don't understand thus-and-such. Would someone please explain it?"

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"William Sommerwanker = Fuckhead "

** The person with seriously faulty reading comprehension is YOU .

And YOU have admitted it - right here.

** Not in the slightest.

YOU refuse to see what is right in front of you !!!!!!!

** FFS the info is ALL OVER THE WEB !!!!!!!!! **** " FFS - Google the damn topic " ******
** Phil would dearly love to kick your fat, pig ignorant ass right into orbit.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

En el artículo , William Sommerwerck escribió:

That's what I was referring to.

I think we've used confusing terminology here - 'screen burn' vs. 'burn- in' vs. 'premature ageing and screen burn on plasma screens'.

"but it is a fact that, during the first 100 hours or so of plasma operation, it is possible to "age" the screen unevenly"

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the heads-up.

 (\_/)
(='.'=)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I can tell you from first hand experience that a burn-in like symptom is possible on LCD displays. About six years ago, I was involved in the design of a piece of industrial equipment with a 15" LCD display. We started getting field reports about burn-in. My first reaction was the customers are imaging things because burn-in only happens on CRT's. However, after further research, we learned that LCDs can experience a similar looking symptom caused by electrons migrating through an insulator and essentially charging up an unwanted capacitance in the panel. It would eventually disapate, but it could take months to do so. We ended up using "screen saver" like procedures (moving things around) to stop it from happening. So, nothing was actually burning-in but it sure looked like it.

Pat

Reply to
Pat
** Phil would dearly love to kick your fat, pig ignorant ass right into orbit.

Why don't you stop by and give it a try? Oh, you live in Great Britain, so you can't? How convenient.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

En el artículo , William Sommerwerck escribió:

Allison is Australian, which explains a lot.

If you're aware of the unpleasant troll called "Rod Speed" that infests various groups, he's Australian too.

Mind you, you have to take into account that these are the descendants of the criminals that the Brits shipped off to van Diemen's land many years ago during transportation.

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Thanks for the correction.

I visited Australia in 1976. Loved the country, loved the people. I did not sense any sort of "criminal culture" in Australian society.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I worked at channel 4. I've seen a lot of TVs with "permanent bugs". The gold 4 was especially good at etching plasmas.

Reply to
dave

Of course not...they just let people drown for fun.

Reply to
dave

, so you

They shipped the 'criminals' - but not the House of Lords (of the day) some of whom were descended from pirates, privateers, brigands, etc.

And the crimes that rated transporting? Most often - poverty.

(quoting from Wikipedia)

During the late 18th and 19th centuries, large numbers of convicts were transported to the various Australian penal colonies by the British government. One of the primary reasons for the British settlement of Australia was the establishment of a penal colony to alleviate pressure on their overburdened correctional facilities. Over the 80 years more than 165,000 convicts were transported to Australia.[1]

The number of convicts pales in comparison to the immigrants who arrived

in Australia in the 1851?1871 gold rush. In 1852 alone, 370,000 immigrants arrived in Australia. By 1871 the total population had nearly

quadrupled from 430,000 to 1.7 million people.[2] The last convicts to be transported to Australia arrived in Western Australia in 1868.

Transportation was a common punishment handed out for both major and petty crimes in Britain from the seventeenth century until well into the

nineteenth century. At the time it was seen as a more humane alternative

to execution. Around 60,000 convicts were transported to the British colonies in North America in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

(end quote)

So the US (and probably Canada) were also populated by transported 'criminals'...

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson