Is there any sensor activated mini video surveillance camera that can be mounted in a car?

Greetings:

I am having a vandalism problem and would like to catch the person scratching my X5 bmer with a key twice. I am pretty sure who did this

since I've seen his/her car following me home one day and got the scratch next day. However, I need tangible proof so I can reason with he/she. I live in a townhouse residence with no security guard and personal garage. The cost to fix the damage is $1000 per scratch. That said, I am wondering if there are any miniature video camera out there that can be mounted on a car and can be activated by some sort of

sensor (ultra sound, infrared etc). If it were you, which actions will

you take to prevent this agony?

Any feedback and suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
njchen24

Hi!

Well, there are a couple of possibilities. Here are some that come to mind:

  1. If the scratches cost K apiece to fix, and you plan on having the scratches fixed, then I'd think you could justify the expense of purchasing a video recorder--digital/hard drive based or time-lapse--and a camera that can work in low light...one that might have an IR 'light booster'. Put the camera on a building near the car or even mount it to a post.
  2. Get a motion sensor that turns on a set of lights. Granted this is basic, but in some cases, it can help. Some vandals or thieves don't like the thought of working in a well illuminated area. You can get ones that look like regular porch lights or included with a set of flood lights.
  3. Get a camera that will take pictures at night and hide where you won't be seen. When the culprits come along, take a picture. (There is some danger with this approach...)
  4. There do exist still cameras that have motion sensors on them. Usually they are sold for photographing wildlife. You might be able to put one of these in your car. I've never seen a motion activated video camera, however.
  5. There are companies who sell fake security cameras as well...and this might also work as a deterrent, assuming the vandals could see it.
  6. You might call the police and see if they can patrol your neighborhood more often. Sometimes this does work.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

In addition to the other suggestions, please be careful - if this person is willing to damage your property for whatever reason (personal differences, revenge, anger, etc.), the may also try to turn it into a physical altercation if you try to reason with him/her. When you do catch the person, your best bet might be to confrony them in a public place and hand them a copy of the tape, then offer to drop the matter if your damages are fully paid for. You might want a friend to record the full conversation to prove that you did not threaten the person with violence, or try to blackmail thtem for more money. Then if the refuse to pay you and not let it happen again, or accuse you of any of the previously listed crimes, go directly to the police with your evidence of the car scratching crimes.

Also seek the advice of an attorney, because following my advice and video recording a conversation without the other party's knowledge may be a crime.

But videotaping your own property to catch a vandal is NOT a crime and can only do you good. Repainting a car is very expensive and if it costs that much it may be considered a more serious crime, which may warrant jail time, fines, and restitution to you for your expenses. Good luck.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

Back to the original query, you can buy a video-motion activator that is inserted into the video line between the camera and the monitor. It simply looks for changes in the video scene, and closes a switch when it detects one. The switch, of course, is what cues the VCR or whatever.

I have one of these lying around somewhere. The size and position of the "active frame" is adjustable on-screen, so you eliminate false trips from someone who walks by on the sidewalk but doesn't approach your car, for example. And as I recall, the sensitivity (the amount of motion required in order to trip the switch) is also adjustable.

Seems to me I bought 2 B&W vidicon-based cameras, a monitor, a 4-camera switcher, and this motion detector, for $250 several years ago. These days, with solid-state cameras, the whole thing would be less. Since all you need is the video-motion-detector, it ought to be way cheap.

Jumpster Jiver wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey