Is Geogebra freeware free on all platforms *except* Android?

Is Geogebra freeware free on all platforms *except* Android?

Something fishy happened when I tried to download the supposedly free Geogebra math graphing app today, on Android, that didn't happen on iOS nor on Linux:

On my old iPad, Geogebra from the App Store installed just fine. On a new hteacher's new MacBook Air, Geogebra installed just fine. On Linux, it installed just fine (sudo apt-get install geogebra).

Yet, on Android, a search in the Google Play store doesn't even *find* it (when we know it's a free app for all platforms):

When I go to the geogebra.org web site from Firefox on Android, the download page has a "Google Play" button and a Goegebra

*Chrome* app! (what's the difference?)

Clicking the "Google Play" button on that web page, I can press a green "Install" (which implies it's a free app):

But then, I get this odd screen which says, for the first time ever for me, "In order to purchase GeoGebra, you must sign in. Please sign in to continue" : (which I never had seen before, at least on Android):

Note: I've had the Android phone for years, and I don't even know what the sign-in password is anymore, simply because it has never been needed before. Why would I need it now?

So, I try again with a *different* browser, this time the classic blue default browser idiotically titled "Internet":

Searching for the geogebra web site, I see two hits, one being "

", where we can download it directly from a web site (which I don't want to do):

Another links is something called the "GeoGebra - Chrome Web Store" (whatever that is):

But, I prefer to use Google Play, so, I press the third link which is a "Free" button:

This (finally) brings me to the Google Play store with GeoGebra Dynamic Mathematics for Everyone prominently listed (as it should be), but, in small text, it says: Your device isn't compatible with this version.

The device is a basic Samsung Galaxy SIII, Android 4.3.

However, the same thing happened with the new teacher's Moto G.

What is going on with GeoGebra on these platforms? Can you shed light on these inconsistencies? Is Geogebra freeware free on all platforms *except* Android?

Reply to
Danny D.

No problems either downloading or installing via the Apps Store on my cheapo Ice Cream Sandwich tablet. & yes it's free.

Regards wasbit

Reply to
wasbit

You need to be signed into Google to download anything from the Play Store. The error message is misleading, it should read more like: "To continue, log in to your Google account".

I'm pretty sure that's the only problem. It's listed as free:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
 deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
Reply to
G. Morgan

G. Morgan wrote, on Sun, 14 Sep 2014 06:17:32 -0500:

I guess I could make a new Google Play account then, as I haven't signed in since, oh, I bought the phone (almost two years ago).

And I've downloaded hundreds of apps since.

I did let a friend log into her gmail account with Firefox at one point, and now Firefox won't let me get to Gmail because it *insists* on trying to log into *her* account, but, that's just Firefox, so I stopped using it.

Do you think somehow Firefox and Google Play got mixed up?

Reply to
Danny D.

Danny D. wrote, on Sun, 14 Sep 2014 12:22:43 +0000:

Just in case Firefox settings screwed up Google Play, I went into Android Settings > Application Manager > All and deleted Firefox.

Pressing thereafter on the Android Google Play app icon, searching for Geogebra, it still doesn't show up.

To test, I clicked on the first app in the list to install (which happened to be "Grapher") and Google Play came up with a "Complete accout setup" form, which is odd.

The "Continue" button brought me to a form to add a credit card, which I'll never do on a portable device, so, I was just about to quit Google Play, when there, in tiny letters at the bottom, I saw the SKIP button.

Skipping that account setup, I was easily able to download the specified app, so, it's just something wrong with the Geogebra app, I guess, that it doesn't work on mainstream devices such as the Samsung Galaxy SIII and the Moto G.

Reply to
Danny D.

There is nothing wrong with the phone, app, or Firefox. Just logon to the Play Store, Gmail, hangouts, whatever Google.. from the mobile device and you'll be fine.

Or... logon to the play store by going to this link from your PC:

Click "install" from the web page and it will prompt you for which device on the drop-down menu (if you have multiple Android devices). Once you have the correct device selected and hit "install" it will be sent to your phone automagically.

You can also download the .apk file from the phone's web browser and "side load" it. Just search for "geogebra apk" on the phone and find a download link. here is one for example:

You can also download from your PC and transfer the .apk file to the phone via USB cable or Bluetooth.

Once the file geogebra-4-3-58-multi-android.apk is on your phone, you just need to click it to install. Find the file using "File Manager" (in "downloads" in phone memory, or external SD). Double tap the filename on your phone and you'll be prompted to install it.

--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
 deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
Reply to
G. Morgan

G. Morgan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@Osama-is-dead.net:

It's a lousy error message. From viewing source, it looks to be a scripting logic error that's causing it. Sort of a catch all error handler routine...

--
I don't need no arms around me. And I dont need no drugs to calm me. I
have seen the writing on the wall. Don't think I need anything at all.