Is Coax-Digital Usually Dangerous!@!#??

Hi All,

I have a question relating to plugging my PC into my new 7.1 Amplifier.

To get to the point, the Coaxial lead coming out of the back of my PC's sound card digital out(builtin Nvidia Nforce1) gives me a small shock while holding the end of it (the metal bit) and touching any electronic equipments metal surface at the same time (yeh i know don't touch it)

When plugging-in , unplugging into the amp I got a small shock. Naturally I suppose all electrical leads have power but this seems unusual. My question is: Is this normal? I've never known Analog style RCA Red & White leads to supply enough energy to shock someone (even minimally). I wouldn't want to hold it for more than a second...

This is a new amplifier and although I'd love to continue to use my computers' 5.1 Coax Out, I'm not too keen if it isn't safe. When i received this shock, the Set-Top-Box I have connected to the Amp turned off! , or at least the TV output went black.. ohoh.. I was worried. I simply reset the STB, all good.

It doesn't seem to be related to the Amp or the Coax Rca style lead i'm using... Is my computer healthy?

Thanks to anyone who has any idea what is going on here! :D

Reply to
nilo

Just as a guess, throw out your "surge protector" it's starting to "leak". Replace it with a good one, like an ISO-BAR.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

Reply to
nilo

There's a good chance this could be due to a ground loop issue. Do you hear a hum on any analog inputs once the computer is hooked up? If so, that would point to a ground loop. Here's a page with some info to help you:

It's a fairly common problem, and one that I've had as well. Good luck!

Reply to
beefjerky