Ipod Nano 3rd 2 Long Beeps

With patience, a guitar pick and dental floss the rear case did come off. Thank you all for your advice. In doing so, I may have damaged something: the iPod now has a grey screen and emits 2 long beeps. Normal reset does not help. iTunes recognizes the iPod and restored the firmware. No joy. Still a grey screen with 2 long beeps. Google shows "2 long beeps" but seems to be fatal. Any opinions? Thank you.

Reply to
John Keiser

Make sure you've really reset it.

If you've successfully restored the firmware and it still doesn't work, it's not totalled. The display connector is loose. Open it up again and check these ribbon connectors:

It's really easy to accidentally knock the locking mechanism loose while replacing the battery. The 2nd photo is the display connector, which is the most likely culprit.

Be careful as you're working with a live battery connected. Make sure it's turned off. Try not to drag the cable in and out of the connector or at an angle. This will short random pins and might do some damage.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

The LCD connection appears fine. I note that lifting the battery slightly and pressing down gently on the LCD cable consistently elicits a "reboot" [screen blacks out followed by white screen and 2 long beeps]. I will remove and reattach the cable again to rule out the connection but from this I infer a defect in the cable itself. I will magnify the traces but would have like hope of a repair as they are too fine for my skill set. Probably worth the $10 for a new LCD screen.

Reply to
John Keiser

Reply to
John Keiser