inverter refrigerators

l have come across quite a number of refrigerators that has inverter for it s compressor motor these days. The problem is these compressors will not wo rk when connected to 50 or 60HZ mains. Please can someone give me an explan ation on how these circuits work, how to test both circuit and compressor? Thanks

Reply to
fynnashba

** So called "inverter compressors" employ BLDC motors in place of induction motors. This allows for variable speed and less heat loss in the motor.

Such motors are normally 3-phase with a rotating magnet providing the output torque. The drive circuits are quite complex and use high voltage MOSFETS or IGBTs.

Search using " inverter compressor BLDC motor" and you will get more info.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

its compressor motor these days. The problem is these compressors will not work when connected to 50 or 60HZ mains. Please can someone give me an expl anation on how these circuits work, how to test both circuit and compressor ?

Thanks so much Phil so it means they are DC motors? or they use pulsating D C. What is the typical voltage

Reply to
fynnashba

He said three phase. That means that while you might feed it DC, the board generates a three phase output to drive the coils, making brushes unnecessary. It also might be a VFD (variable frequency).

There is no typical voltage, though many just use rectified mains power to save money.

Bottom line is it needs the board to run. It is not an inverter.

Reply to
jurb6006

** BLDC motors are nowadays *everywhere* - time for you to catch up and do some Googling. The name is misleading, cos they are really multi-phase, synchronous, AC, permanent magnet motors.

No brushes, but an electronic drive circuit that replaces the rotating commutator used in a regular DC motor and where the rotating part is a magnet.

Electric vehicles, washing machines, small fans and RC hobby motors all use the same idea.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The problem is the motors have no provision for starting, that is supplied by the motor drive circuit that gradually increases applied voltage and frequency as the motor picks up speed.

If the windings are not shorted to the housing, the motor is most likely good. (Can't test the compressor as a whole so simply.) The drive circuits are VERY complex, probably using IGBTs and a logic circuit to drive them, which likely has a microprocessor in it. I'm not sure we can really tell you how to test the drive circuit on such a forum as this. And, be aware there are dangerous voltages in such circuits.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

its compressor motor these days. The problem is these compressors will not work when connected to 50 or 60HZ mains. Please can someone give me an expl anation on how these circuits work, how to test both circuit and compressor ?

Thanks everyone for your support and concern. This is what makes me love th is group and electronics in general, people are always ready to help.

Reply to
fynnashba