Inverter Generator

Hello, all. This isn't a repair question but, not having seen any circuit schematics, I've been wondering what circuitry constitutes the time base (what governs the 60 Hz AC output freq) in consumer inverter generators (e.g. the Honda EU series)? Is it crystal-controlled or something else? I'm assuming it depends on the inverter portion itself, not the rpm of the engine. Since these appliances are designed to function in a variety of temperature/humidity environments I would think frequency stability is important. Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood	            e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com
Reply to

Might be a PLL locked by the mains. An independent frequency generator is too much expensive. Some of them have a tachometer to control rotation speed.

Reply to
Look165

That's not how it works. The generator supplies the raw energy to run an inverter. Locking an inverter to a crystal is simple, and you get and output frequency with 50 ppm accuracy.

Besides, what good does "phase locked to the mains" do when it's obvious that you're running a generator because the mains have gone down.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Typically, it's a governor, NOT a tachometer.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Hello, all and I appreciate the responses thus far, but my assumption about the inner workings of these appliances is that the output voltage and frequency is independent of the rotational speed of the engine-driven generator portion. The generator's function is to supply DC input to the inverter which in turn provides the 120/240 VAC output. I'm assuming the same/similar circuitry as that of an inverter designed for connection to a motor vehicle battery. So what component(s) control the inverter generator's output frequency to the required degree of accuracy? Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood	            e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com
Reply to
J.B. Wood

If mains are off, WTF wanting a 60Hz frequency ? Between 50 and 70 Hz, it's OK.

Reply to
Look165

What's it to you? For many applications, frequency isn't important, but for others, it can be. If frequency is determined by the the crystal clock of a microprocessor (my guess, but I really don't know), it should be easy to get pretty close to 60 Hz and clocks will keep good time and motors will run at the right speed. Some devices will run cooler at the right frequency, too.

Reply to
Pat

You've obviously never had a ferroresonant transformer set fire to itself because it was dealing with a generator that was NOT on frequency.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

You need to see this as two entirely different systems, the output being dependent on the input for raw energy (watts), but not for frequency.

What comes off an automotive *alternator* is speed-to-voltage dependent AC, which goes through a diode-block and regulator and becomes chopped DC. Which, in turn is *smoothed* by the mother of all capacitors called a "Battery".

Which then goes into the Inverter - which does not really care whether it is alternator power, or battery power. It takes the DC at some voltage between ~11 VDC and ~15 VDC, and converts it to AC by its internal magic.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Hello, and that's a big detour off my original question, IMHO. Having said that I have no problem with what you stated. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood	            e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com
Reply to
J.B. Wood

It would help if you gave us the model number.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

t.

Whatever components the designer chose to use in said oscillator. It could be anything, but a crystal is unlikely, they cost at least a penny more.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Hello, and I already addressed your other post. I think a crystal is probably likely. You said it was unlikely but don't offer sensible reason(s) why (e.g. temperature and vibration stability, etc) Lacking knowledge of the internals, you might ust as well have said "They use whatever they need to use". Not exactly an erudite response. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood	            e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com
Reply to
J.B. Wood

Hello, and that's certainly reasonable but I was asking a specific question related to the technology and my guess is that the correct answer doesn't very that much between manufacturers. I have seen block wiring diagrams online but not detailed, circuit board schematics. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood	            e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com
Reply to
J.B. Wood

or

f,

ink

ent.

.

ol

uld be anything, but a crystal is unlikely, they cost at least a penny more .

cost, as I said.

sorry to hear the reality doesn't meet your approval.

Reply to
tabbypurr

The cost of small microprocessors and crystals are almost nothing. Look at the Arduino processor boards. They can be bought from China for about 2 ot 3 dollars. They are powerful enough to run the inverter part of the inverter.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Tabby just wants to find fault with everything.

-- "I am a river to my people." Jeff-1.0 WA6FWi http:foxsmercantile.com

Reply to
Fox's Mercantile

No sensible manufacturer is going to use a crystal` where they can use a ce ramic resonator or a silicon oscillator built into the chip. And no sensibl e mfr is going to pay for a crystal plus a divide by massive number circuit when they can use a low frequency oscillator. If you can't see why there's nothing further for us to discuss.

Reply to
tabbypurr

discuss.

I guess that I used crystal too loose. Anyway the small processors and clock circuits for them are very inexpensive.

Digikey has for sale crystal oscillators that can be programmed for most any frequency for around 2 to 3 dollars. I have even ordered them already programmed for about $ 4 each. I am sure in quanties of thousnads from the manufactor they are very inexpensive.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I have ordered those for a project. Certainly cheaper than having crystals made for $18-20 each.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0