Indexing pdf files

I've some CDroms with semiconductor datasheets on them but all as pdf with file names not relating to the items. There is no overall listing of whats on these disks and can only find out by suck it and see on the front-page built-in search facility 1 by 1 or read each pdf file 1 by 1. Curiously windows explorer search for text can see text on these pdf files including the item numbers but viewing the pdf file on a Hex reader this text is not viewable. Anyone know a way round this as I may as well chuck them otherwise. I've pdf2text reader , would it be possible to sequentially access this reader within a Visual Basic or Word macro to convert the first page/ line/s of each pdf and save to file/s

n cook

You should be able to do this directly with Acrobat. I don't know about earlier versions but Acrobat v7 (full utilty not just the reader), has batch facilities that will achieve your objective. Drop down the Advanced menu, select Batch Processing then 'Print 1st page of all'. You can then select the input folder, another folder as the output and whether you want it printed in RTF, text or as a jpeg.

Reply to
Philson

I don't understand PCs, but can't you just copy them across to another CD and change each filename to something meaningful - like LM338/PDF, etc, if you don't want to store them on your HD?

--
*Can atheists get insurance for acts of God? *

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

line/s

I tried acrobat7 but it won't work on win98. I've got round it via this route FoxitReader pdf reader to see whats there, where the index/cross reference were. pdf2text to convert the first 15 , 50 or whatever pages to text. Unfortunately 2 pdf files were 1,500 pages long with the index at the end so had to go away for 1/4 hour and then delete 1,470 small text files as you cannot preset pages on the free pdf2text version Then used AF5 file batch renamer to put some structure to the file names. First CD done the other 8 don't have so many datasheets so should be aeasier. So I won't be throwing them out now they are usable. No wonder someone was disposing of them at a radio rally for next to nothing as useless before externally indexing

n cook

It would be really great if you could upload these CDs to a server somewhere and post the URL here so we can all have a look.

Reply to
ian field

this

reference

end

names.

somewhere

If I could afford that sort of behaviour I would not be using a pc cobbled together from skip-trash etc and using win98

n cook

There is a free file hosting service at:

but I'm not sure if there is any way to upload a whole CD - the limit on filesize is

500Mb so it might be possible to change the attributes of a folder saved on a HD to fool the OS into thinking its a file (and give it an extension so it looks like a file) someone who knows more than me might be able to clarify if this is possible, and if so how?
Reply to
ian field

as

jpeg.

page/

the

cobbled

I'm

is

on

it

Have you any idea how long it would take to upload 500Mbyte on a 28K modem ?

n cook

A dilemma to be sure, it took me years to get around to upgrading to broadband because I thought I couldn't afford the £20/month charge, but when I looked at my phone bill for my very limited use of dialup I realised that I was already paying more than that anyway!

Reply to
ian field